How to manual install CentOS 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by GreenW, Jul 6, 2022.

1. GreenW

GreenW Bit Poster

I am running parallels desktop 17.1.4 and want install CentOS 7 manually. My system version is macOS Monterey 12.2.1
    I download the iso of " CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-2009.iso"
    First i click "New" in parallels desktop and make some config about cpu / memory / disk
    when i select the iso and start the virtual machine
    the installation process stop at
    "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network"
    so can anyone help me about this problem, thanks
    my vm specs was 2C2G

Attached Files:

2. GreenW

GreenW Bit Poster

I download a "CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1810.iso" image and try to install manually
    there is also the "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network" tips but it slash over
    then the install graphic appeared and i can install sucessfully.
    so is this a compatible bug for parallels desktop ?

3. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

All I can say is that Parallels states that versions 6 -8 are compatible and the built-in v8 installs just fine.

4. DebasmitaM@Parallels

DebasmitaM@Parallels Staff Member

Hello, "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network" / "X startup failed, aborting installation" / "Pane is dead" error during installation. The boot mode in use may be causing these error messages. Try to install after enabling both UEFI and Legacy boot modes. If that doesn't help, then disable one and try the other. For installation guidance please refer to this KB article.

5. rachelg2

rachelg2 Bit Poster

Steps are given below-
    Step 1: Begin Installation
    First of all, you have to download a CentOS image from the download section of the project website. Then, make a USB bootable and then restart the computer.

To begin installation, click on the Install to Hard Drive icon on the desktop.

Step 2: Select Language And Keyboard
    Select your preferred language as well as the Keyboard type you have.

Step 3: Change The Installation Destination
    By default, the Anaconda installer will choose automatic partitioning for your hard disk. Click on the Installation Destination icon to change this to custom partitioning.

Click on the hard drive you want to install CentOS 7 and under the Other Storage Options, choose I will configure partitioning then click Done.

Step 4: Select The Partitioning Scheme
    Next, select the partitioning scheme to use for the mount points.

After that, accept the changes to apply them.

Step 5: Set Date And Time
    Click on the clock icon under the localization menu and select a time zone from the map of the world, then click Done.

Once you have chosen the time and date as well as the timezone, you will see a summary of the installation. This is a good time to review all changes carefully.

Step 6: Begin Installation
    Now after configuring the System and Localization settings you can click on the Begin Installation button.

The installation will begin immediately and as it proceeds you need to set up a User account as well as the root password.
    Click on the root password option and enter a password and confirmation of the same then click Done. I recommend that you use a strong password to prevent it from being stolen or guessed by others. The next step is to create a user account. Enter the correct details and if this is the administrator account, tick Make this user administrator and Require a password to use this account for security purposes.
    After that, the process will continue.
    Then, the installer should complete installing the software and the bootloader.
    Once complete you should get a success message, after which you can click quit.

This may help you,
    Rachel Gomez

6. DebasmitaM@Parallels

DebasmitaM@Parallels Staff Member

Hello, we appreciate your response.

7. GreenW

GreenW Bit Poster

So how do I disable "Try to install after enabling both UEFI and Legacy boot modes"
    is there any screenshot ? thanks

8. GreenW

GreenW Bit Poster

I check the boot order option , but no effect.

Attached Files:

9. SvenG3

SvenG3 Bit Poster

I had the same issue (installer stuck on "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network") when using custom install. Setting the Graphics memory to "Auto" solved the problem for me. Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 08.43.00.png

10. GreenW

GreenW Bit Poster

it doesn't work for me.

11. SvenG3

SvenG3 Bit Poster

My bad, please make sure to also disable 3D-acceleration (click the "Advanced" button in Graphics settings to disable).

12. GreenW

GreenW Bit Poster

Great, It works.
    There also the message, but the installation can continue to next step.
    Thank you very much.