How to prevent automatic installation of Parallels Tools?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Forrest Gump, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Bit poster

Hello,

I'm using Parallels 4.0 with primarily Windows guests. The problem I'm running into is that every time Parallels is updated, it feels the need to update Parallels Tools on the windows guest OS without asking me. Consider the situation where you have a Windows guest with say 10 snapshots. Once Parallels is updated, reverting to any of the snaphshots will immediately trigger a reinstall of Parallels Tools, requiring a reboot. This leaves you with two options:
    1) Update parallels tools in each of the 10 snapshots, and then re-snapshot and delete the old ones, merging changes.
    2) Upon restoring any of the snapshots, wait for parallels tools to re-install and then reboot the whole guest OS.

Neither option is acceptable.

Is there some way to disable this feature?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Snapshots are binary representations of difference, reverting to old snapshots, means revert to back stage,
    Only option to create new snapshot set, with Parallels Tools installed

3. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Bit poster

So let's say that I do not want to install the new version of Parallels Tools. How do I do that? When I revert to a snapshot, I just want to go to the state of the computer as it was then. I do not need nor want to update parallels tools to get any bug fixes or whatnot.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Just cancel installation, and make sure after next reboot you do not have CD/DVD connected to tools iso image
    Or set OS type to other Windows

5. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Bit poster

With the work I do, that is not an acceptable workaround. I need the ability to jump around between snapshots quickly and effeciently. Waiting for the Parallels Tools installer to start up, thrash around the hard disk, and then cancel the installation each time I restore to a snapshot is not reasonable.

6. bi11

bi11 Hunter

The tools "only" install if you have the cd or floppy loading the tools image. Check the settings on your virtual machine and untick use image file for the cd/floppy.