how to restore Parallels network interfaces?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Chinarut Ruangchotvit, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Chinarut Ruangchotvit

Chinarut Ruangchotvit Junior Member

Hi! I think AppleCare nuked my install of Parallels Desktop while attempting to troubleshoot my network configuration.

I notice that: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist is missing entries related to Parallels Desktop.

I suspect my Windows 7 RC install is unable to connect to the my shared network because these interfaces are missing.

the only workaround I have is using the Windows "network troubleshooter" which admittedly figures something out but I'd like to get things back to the way they were!

2. VBR

VBR Member

Hello,

Try switching to bridge netwroking in the configuration of the VM and then try to connect, if you are still unable to connect then try to reinstall Parallels Tools on the VM.

3. Chinarut Ruangchotvit

Chinarut Ruangchotvit Junior Member

ok - to be clear - my virtual machine accesses the default page on IE even after rebooting my VM.

I found his thread on Google Groups.

I did an ipconfig and my mac and surprised to see 2 network interfaces do indeed exist:

vnic0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 10.aaa.bb.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.aaa.bb.255
    ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:08
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect
    vnic1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 10.yy.zzz.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.yy.zzz.255
    ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:09
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect

what functionally am I missing with the "Parallels NAT" and "Parallels Guest Host" configurations missing in my Network preference pane?