How to set virtual MAC adrress to be the same as psysical MAC address?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by snow-man, Nov 26, 2008.

1. snow-man

snow-man Bit poster

I have licence problem with MS office in booting Windows Vista in BootCamp and booting via paralles. It needs re-activation all the time. I´ve read about changing this MAC address, but can someone write me, where can I find this address setting ? in paralles, or in network setting ? in more detail pls. I haven´t really found yet..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

1. Select your VM
    2. Use the Virtual Machine / Configure menu option
    3. Turn on the Show advanced settings checkbox in the bottom left
    4. Click on the Network Adapter 1 under Hardware on the left side

The MAC address will appear.

Since Office has already determined re-activation is required, changing the MAC address now will most likely not work. You would need to do it before the VM was upgraded, converted and turned on the first time.

3. STim

STim Bit poster

snow-man,

For our record, what is your Office version, like is it Office XP/2003/2007? If you are an upgrader, was it a problem with previous version of Parallels Desktop?

Thank you.

4. snow-man

snow-man Bit poster

It is office 2007. there was not an upgrade. The iMAC is new. with new MAC OS X, Parallels 4, win vista, office 2007. the problem is in needing reactivation when switch between Vista via parallels, and Vista via Bootcamp (At that time, when I run office) .. If I´m running Vista (and office) via BootCamp (or Parallels) all the time (ex: all the month) the re-activation is not needed. It is needed only when I switch between that systems, at that time when I run Office. I think it is because of the changing the MAC address. ?

5. snow-man

snow-man Bit poster

The Change of the virtual MAC address really fixed my problem. Thanks to all.