How to Unfreeze "FROZEN" VM Bug- (Workaround)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by DavidB87, Dec 17, 2020.

1. DavidB87

DavidB87 Bit Poster

OK, so I have a bit of a workaround for now --- how to deal with a frozen VM where no input is being accepted, and the VM clock is frozen.

Assuming you have the frozen VM in front of you do the following:

On the MacOS / Parallels menubar go to Actions Menu. Select "Reinstall Parallel Tools".

Now, be patient ... maybe 30-60 to 90 seconds .... you may see an item popup on the dock -- ignore it.

Eventually, you'll see an alert within the VM, telling you Parallel Tools have been installed --- it will offer "restart" or "Postpone". Choose POSTPONE ..... you should be able to continue to work in the VM.

If you choose "Restart", Windows does indeed restart -- but back into the locked up state.

Note if it happens again, you may need to force quit Parallels, and repeat, as once you choose "Postpone", the "Reinstall Parallel Tools" options is thereafter disabled.

2. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello guys,
    The problem is reproducible in a very basic VM scenario if Mac timezone has negative offset, ex. California, US UTC-8:00. Windows will "hang" after reboot w/ Parallels Tools installed. The workaround is to shut down and disable time sync: VM Config > Options > More Options > Time: Do Not Sync.

3. EricF9

EricF9 Bit Poster

If you want to make it persist after reboot, go to Device Manager and uninstall the Parallels Display Adapter and check to delete the driver.

4. AlanD17

AlanD17 Bit Poster

wait. Parallels tools works? I haven't seen where it's actually doing anything other than mount the disk.

5. DavidB87

DavidB87 Bit Poster

@Alan17 -- parts of it must be doing something, and I'm guessing it gets partially reset with the pseudo re-install

Hmmm... can you re-explain that? I un-installed the adapter, which made my VM screen go all black and dead (not a shocking result to be honest!) oddly, the miniature version in the control center was still there. BU I tried to get it back with a restart, but Looks like I killed my build very dead like instead. ;-)

6. EricF9

EricF9 Bit Poster

If the screen goes black, a reboot should take care of it.
    Sometimes when I close Windows 10 ARM VM it crashes Parallels and I have to open Activity Monitor and manually kill all processes related to Parallels.
    Then Parallels will start the VM correctly and normally. At least on my system

7. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello guys,
    The problem is reproducible in a very basic VM scenario if Mac timezone has negative offset, ex. California, US UTC-8:00. Windows will "hang" after reboot w/ Parallels Tools installed. The workaround is to shut down and disable time sync: VM Config > Options > More Options > Time: Do Not Sync.

8. wrod59

wrod59 Bit Poster

This worked for me.

9. ScottK17

ScottK17 Bit Poster

Thanks, Maria! That worked. I was despairing getting the Windows 10 preview to work - all of the linux distros have been working fine, but they don't have tools available yet.

10. Tres Finocchiaro

Tres Finocchiaro Bit Poster

Thank you so much for the time sync workaround! This worked fantastic.

ScottK17 likes this.
  11. CaryB

CaryB Bit Poster

This worked for me! Many thanks for the workaround...

12. io_2000

io_2000 Bit Poster

Thanks, Maria. The graphics are working perfectly now!

13. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Bit Poster

Turn off Time Sync. I did not have to do any of the other things listed here. Took a few hours to get there.

14. PatrickP77

PatrickP77 Bit Poster

Thanks a ton!! I kept on removing and reinstalling the windows VM and it worked after fresh install. But after reboot, it kept freezing. This config change solve the issue.
    I also have a Ubuntu VM and it works fine.
    Thanks!

15. AlexB26

AlexB26 Bit Poster

Hello guys!
    MacBookPro17,1, Apple M1 Pfrallels Version 16.3.1 (50393) Technical Preview
    Black screen after booting windows 10
    VM Config> Options> More Options> Time: Do Not Sync. - Does not help...
    Tell me what to do...

16. kunnado

kunnado Bit Poster

what do you mean by "after booting"? - do you see the windows 10 logo and spinning wheel (with dots) during boot up?

17. AlexB26

AlexB26 Bit Poster

yes, exactly

18. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Bit Poster

I found a bank screen issue after starting and logging in to windows 10. I could get parallels to send a ctrl-alt-delete and start task manager, but that was about it. It was in my case directly related to changing desktop themes. I ended up reinstalling the VM again, this time not tinkering with the themes. My only issue now is I don't have any sound. Has anyone got sound working in Windows 10 VM?

19. todonoghue

todonoghue Bit Poster

Hi Maria;
    In all of the questions and relies, is the distinction being made between the "standard" Parallels for Mac 16 and the *Tech Preview for M1 Macs*?.
    Also, Windows vs. Linux VMs?

My understanding is that for the M1 Preview there are NO Parallels Tools (yet) for Linux VMs.