How to upgrade to latest build?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bkingbking, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bkingbking

bkingbking Junior Member

Previous upgrades to the most recent builds have not gone smoothly. Can anyone provide plain English, step-by-step instructions on how to do this properly? Coherence sounds cool but I'm terrified of upgrading based on previous experience. Too much risk.

When it's working Parallels is great. It's the install/upgrade process that, at least to me, has not been the most intuitive process. From the looks of other posts, I'm (thankfully) not alone.

Thanks in advance!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, what version are you currently using?

Firstly, back-up your data, preferably to an external. A Disk Image of your Hard Drive never hurt, but you are pretty safe just backing up any .hdd and .pvs files (find them by using spotlight to search for *.hdd and once that is done, *.pvs).

After you are backed up, boot into your Virtual Machine and Un-install Parallels tools via Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs then find Parallels tools and un-install.

Once you are now backed up and Parallels tools is zapped, un-install Parallels with the Parallels un-installer.

Now that Parallels is zapped. Install the new build, then install Parallels tools. It should all work fine.

3. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Hello,

Backup our data first.

upgrade procedure:

1) unsintall Parallels tools (go to Start menu - control panel - add/remove programs - select Parallels tools - remove . Follow wizard instructions.).
    2) Stop (NOT suspend) all VMs before upgrading
    3) Close Parallels
    4) Download
    http://download.parallels.com/GA/Parallels Desktop 3188 Mac en.dmg
    5) install - upgrade (double click on Parallels desktop. pkg , follow wizard instructions)
    6) Reboot the MacOS (very important to avoid networking troubles)
    7) Start the VM
    8) Install Parallels tools (Actions menu - install Parallels tools).
    9)Restart Windows.

Best regards,
    Mike