How to use Parallels VM on new iMac?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fbx, Jun 22, 2008.

1. fbx

fbx Hunter

I got a new iMac. Tried Migration Asst but that didn't copy my Parallels install of Win XP, so I manually copied it (the folder, the .pvs, the .hdd, the .mem) and put them in the Parallels folder on the new iMac.

However, the username is different on the new Mac (fbx3 vs fbx on he old one) and when I try to run the VM Parallels says it can't find the HD. I've read about redirecting to the HD but I can't find it now.

Somebody give me a hand? Thx.

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

on your old mac
    clone your vm to an external hard disk

plug in to the new machine
    select but don't run the clone

clone the the clone to a final position on your new machine

2)
    You can boot your old mac as if a firewire HD and connect it to the new and select the vm and clone it

see
    Start in Firewire drive mode........................... T

>> * The T key forces the PowerBook (FireWire) (and reportedly the Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics), though I was unable to verify that on my machine) to start up in FireWire Target Disk Mode, which is essentially the modern equivalent of SCSI Disk Mode and enables a PowerBook (FireWire) to act as a FireWire-accessible hard disk for another Macintosh. <<

http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.htm#T Key

Hugh W

3. fbx

fbx Hunter

Thanks, but easier was to "edit" the copied machine and rename the path to the HDD. Also had to fiddle with the network connect, but since then all is fine.

To use Migration Assistant you set the source Mac with boot-while-holding-T (to firewire transfer mode). Whne the Migration Assistant is finished (and I gather it is always/often an incomplete migration), then you can copy additional stuff from source to new iMac without issue.