HOWTO: Sound in FreeBSD VM in Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rdscow, Mar 19, 2007.

1. rdscow

rdscow Junior Member

MacbookPro OS X.4.9
    Parallels build 3188
    FreeBSD 6.2

I installed FreeBSD 6.2 as a VM without too many roblems. I only found that it took several tries, paying close attention to the installer instructions as I went. I got networking up without a problem, by just setting up the DHCP server during the postinstall section.

I managed to install Xorg and Gnome2 using some step-by-steps that I found. I googled those. I also got some good info from a response to one of my posts on this forum.

The only thing that wasn't working was sound. My BSD box didn't recognize my sound card. There is a snd_HDA driver. I couldn't get it to work.

OSS version 4.0 does have a free download version for personal users. And this is what I used. Here is how it worked.

Next projects: find out how to mount hfs+ volumes, so I can access my files from the MacOSX side: mp3, video, documents.

Roger

1. Go to www.opensound.com and click on the icon for Downloads, and then click the Open Sound System icon. Select the OS you are downloading for.

2. Download the package from the link. I suppose it could go anywhere, but I copied it from my desktop to /tmp.

3. Download the .pdf instruction sheet from the same page. Refer to it with one exception. See below.

4. cd to /tmp. As root or sudo run: pkg_add oss-freebsd-v4.0-1000-i386.tbz

5. The .pdf says to pkg_add oss-freebsd*.pkg. This is a typo I guess.

6. reboot or shutdown -h now

7. On restarting, I saw the volume thingy on the taskbar was active and I could run the sound up and down.

8. In the terminal, run osstest

9. You should hear music from your speakers!

For those who want a "pure" open source/non-commercial fix, this might be a NO-GO, but it worked great for me.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

So that more people see it, you should also post this in the How To form linked at the top level of all these forum categories.

3. rdscow

rdscow Junior Member

will do.

thanks

roger