I can not see my virtual machine on our network

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jimbow, Jul 3, 2007.

1. jimbow

jimbow Bit poster

I have a Mac running 10.4.10 OS with a parallels 3.0 desktop of windows XP.

1) From the Parallels Desktop of XP on the MAC, I can explore a network workgroup of computers and windows explorer functions well - networking appears to be good and well
    2) From other computers on the network I can see the Mac computer and search its share drives
    3) From other computers I can not see the virtual machine.

I need to run synchronization software between two computers on a network and one of them is the virtual windows XP environment on the MAC computer. To do this I need to be able to see the virtual computer as a member of the work group. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What kind of networking are you using? It sounds like you are using Shared Networking.

Have you tried using Bridged Networking?

3. jimbow

jimbow Bit poster

Shared Networking

1) If I go into the Parallels Desktop and look at Preferens and then Networking I have DHCP enabled but is is a different network IP address then my office network.
    2) If I go under the MAC OS and look at system preference and then network I have:
    Built in Ethernet - this is on the office IP address as expected
    Parallels NAT which matches the Parallels IP address from the parallels desktop
    Parallels Host-Guest which does not have an IP Addrewss

I am not sure how to bridge to acomplish this - any advice would help.

4. jimbow

jimbow Bit poster

Sorry - I did not give a full responce in the last posting
    3) The office network is and open workgroup using a simple ethernet and hubs serving a proximatly 20 windows XP machines and my single MacBook.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If you use bridged networking for your VM it will be in the same address space as your Mac and the rest of your office. Nat will hide your VM within your Mac as you have discovered, and other systems will not see it. Hopefully there is an available IP for Windows to use - just be sure you don't make one up. Bridged networking is configured using the VM config editor, and the VM has to be turned off, not suspended, to make those changes.

6. jimbow

jimbow Bit poster

Thx

It is great when people take a few minutes out of the typical busy day to answer a total stranger’s question. Thanks and I will download the manual to setup the bridging as recommended. If I am stuck, I will read some more and then ask questions if I am totally stuck. This should be more then I need to get going in the proper direction.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

We don't have to spoonfeed someone? Wow, that is new!