I can't print anymore

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by abrasha, May 22, 2009.

1. abrasha

abrasha Member

I was able to print in Windows XP on PD 4.0 I had to reinstall XP.

Now I can no longer print even though I installed the latest drives which I downloaded from the Canon site. At first for some reason PD 4 saw my printer on a LPT1, even though it is a USB printer that was previously connected via COM1.

I deleted the printer in the Control Panel and reinstalled the driver, now choosing the printer port manually at COM 1.

PD 4 recognizes the printer because it ask me if I should connect the printer to the computer or to the VM. I choose the VM. Yet I cannot print. When I go to Devices/USB, I see the printer. When I check it, and go back to it, the prnter is no longer visible.

What am I doing wrong.

2. desgael

desgael Pro

Since your printer is connected directly via USB there are basically three ways you can try to set it up:

1. If printer is Mac-compatible I would suggest to try connecting it via Apple Bonjour:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4990

2. Set it up with direct connection via USB using native drivers:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23535.htm

3. Set it up using Parallels port (should be a Mac printer as well):
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23545.htm

Make sure that you have tried all these methods.

3. abrasha

abrasha Member

Actually, what I did was the following.

I deleted all the USB ports in the Device Manager and then restarted Windows.

Windows now recognized "New Hardware" and identified the correct printer. The printer port was now automatically set to print to "Ne00" instead of LPT1 or COM1. I don't know what "Ne00" is but it is the same port as before, and it works so I don't really care to understand what is going on.

Everything is now fine.

4. hbutz

hbutz Bit poster

solution to printing from guest OS

I found a solution to all my printing problems from the guest OS. When I purchased a new printer, I found one which is network capable. HP had an inexpensive one which could be configured with a static IP. Ever since, I haven't had the problems which USB printers exhibit.

5. abrasha

abrasha Member

Some solution!

So your solution to my issue, which btw I reported as already solved, is to buy a new printer.

6. Jerubaal

Jerubaal Junior Member

I Also Can't Seem to Install a Network Printer on My Guest OS

I upgraded to Parallels 4.0 on two computers and now I cannot access my printer any more. I have a printer connected to a PC Desktop via a serial cable. I have been reading these forums, and the solutions don't seem to work for me.
    I can print via my HOST OS and I can access the internet on my Guest OS (Windows XP Pro) but when I try to add a network printer, nothing seems to work. Also I can't see any other network places on my guest OS but I can't remember if I could under Parallels 3.0 or not. My firewalls are turned off on both ends.
    Can someone help !