I can't share my vm with an other account.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by abrasha, Nov 10, 2009.

1. abrasha

abrasha Member

I tried to share my Windows XP virtual machine with another account on my Mac. I am running OS X 10.5.7, and Parallels Desktop 4.0.3848. I followed the instructions at http://kb.parallels.com/en/5733 to the letter.

I moved my XP vm to users/shared/parallels. When I started PD, I then located it again. It continues to run fine in my own account, but it will not run in the other user account on my computer. When I try to run it, the "New Virtual Machine Assistant" opens, and I am asked to install the OS again from a disk.

The file for the vm does not look the same in the shared parallels folder, when accessed from the other user account, either. It is no longer a file, it is now a folder with a - sign in a red circle on it. The name of the folder is the same as my vm, i.e. Windows XP.pvm. When I double click on it try to start the vm that way, I get a dialog box with the following error message in it:

The specified bundle is invalid. The bundle does not contain a valid Parallels virtual machine.

I am very frustrated about this. Any advice to make this work is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello Abrasha,

Please carry out the terminal instructions in order to provide the required permissions to the .PVM file:

1) Go to public VMs folder - to do this please perform at Terminal command:

cd /Users/Shared/Parallels

2) If you want to share VM for all users then perform follow command:

sudo chmod -R og+rwx vm_folder_name

(instead vm_folder_name use correspond name of VM bundle. Folder name with spaces should be wrapped into quotes).

For example, if you have Windows XP.PVM as the file name, you need to replace the "vm_folder_name" by "Windows XP.PVM".

Thank you.

3. etperez22

etperez22 Bit poster

I have done the above and what the KB article stated.. However when I login in to a new user it asks me to setup a New VM.. how can I make it so that who ever logs into the machine it will just show the VM and not have to go through the new VM assistant..

4. etperez22

etperez22 Bit poster

any help as to why any new user needs to set a new VM?

5. brettx

brettx Bit poster

etperez, I haven't tried it and only came across this thread in a search for something else, but I think that behavior is normal. Most applications on OS X require some preferences to be created for each user. You usually have to figure out which .plist files to copy over to another account to get the same preferences to stick.
    hope that helps.