I need help migrating data to a virtual machine.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MoorganH, May 3, 2013.

1. MoorganH

MoorganH Bit poster

Explanation:
    I'm on a Mac Pro running Mac 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on my main hard drive which is 2.5TB. I have some games I like to play as well as some older software that I haven't replaced yet that doesn't work past 10.5 Leopard (or 10.6 with Rosetta). So I made a partition and installed 10.5 I think, because for some reason my 10.6 disc wasn't working properly.

Anyway I recently got Parallels 8 for Windows but realized I can install Mac 10.5 Server and Mac 10.6 Server in Parallels too so I got Mac 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Server because I've never owned a server version before. I first looked at the migrate from PC option, which only had the ability to migrate from USB, Network, or External Storage device none of which includes from a partition on the computer. So I went with the other option, to set up a VM from disc.

So running from the disc on the new VM I noticed I would need a Time Machine backup to migrate my old data. I made the partition 320GB, not because I needed it but because that was the size of the main hard drive in my last comp (an iMa) which came with Leopard and I have plenty of free space. So I split the partition into 2 partitions and used the second one for a Time Machine Backup, it took 12 hours over 2 days for Time Machine to finish the backup for some reason.

The Problem:
    Now back in Parallels, I try to use the Time Machine function but it detects nothing. I check in Disk Utility and it only recognizes the VM. The Sharing Options Share Folder is set to All Disks, and I also added the partition with the Time Machine backup to Custom Folders.

There appears to be no way to view computer data on the VM, so I made a partition on the VM with the same name as the partition on my comp. The idea was to manually transfer over the files like I've done with the Windows partition before but the .hdd file that is running can't be manipulated on my computer. How can I get my files and settings and everything from the partition to the VM?

2. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

I'm lost!

Can't you just install the games and other apps directly into virtual SLS?

Why all the messing with Time Machine and what not?