iChat and Mail beachball on launch when Parallels is installed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robotspacer, Aug 31, 2007.

1. robotspacer

robotspacer Bit poster

Here's a summary of the situation:

- For a long time I've had this problem on my iMac Core Duo. When I open iChat or Mail, they launch quickly, the main window loads, and then they freeze for about two minutes, with the spinning color wheel.

- I bought a new iMac Core 2 Extreme and moved all my files over with the migration assistant. I was having the same problem and decided it was time to get to the bottom of it.

- I went through a huge number of troubleshooting steps. Deleted all preference files and cleared caches. Removed all my fonts and went back to the default set. Reinstalled the apps using Pacifist.

- Eventually I gave in and did an archive and install of OS X. I didn't expect it to help since I was having the problem on a brand new computer. But to my surprise... Finally, problem solved! I used my computer for a few days, launching both apps many times, with no problems at all.

- Today I needed to use Parallels again, which meant reinstalling it. I've been using the latest beta (build 5120) so I installed that again. Immediately after installing it and restarting, I opened iChat... and the beachball problem was back. I tested Mail and got the same thing.

- I uninstalled Parallels, restarted my computer, and the problem was gone.

- I downloaded the latest official release (build 4560) and now the problem is back again. Without a doubt, Parallels is causing this problem.

This happens when Parallels isn't even running by the way. This is a 2.8GHz machine with 4GB RAM, so it's not like I'm pushing it too hard or something.

Is there any solution? I was hesitant to upgrade to 3.0, and now I'm really feeling like I wasted my money. (I'm not sure if 2.0 was any better, but at the moment I'm considering VMWare.)

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, a beta is a beta...

What happens if you zap Parallels and restart a few times?

Have you run a good cache cleaner like Onyx?

While a C2D uses an intel build like a CD, the architecture on the systems are a little different. The migration should be able to bridge the gap (although, I trashed my install and had to go back to square one by transfering too many of my modded system files from my PB to my new MBP). What happens if you do a fresh install, and try re-installing all the apps, and dragging and dropping your files over?

3. robotspacer

robotspacer Bit poster

This happens even with the most recent, official, non-beta release. I uninstalled the beta and the problem went away. I installed the official release and the problem returned.

Not sure what you mean by "zap"? If you mean uninstall it, yes, as I said, that fixes the problem. If I reinstall it, the problem comes back. I need Windows for testing, so if I uninstall it completely I'll be buying VMWare. I'd rather not as I prefer the features in Parallels and don't want to spend more money on something I like less.

As mentioned I tried deleting caches numerous times, and yes I did use OnyX. I cleared all of the caches at least once.

I really can't afford to spend the time to do a clean install. Considering I've completely reinstalled the operating system and all of the apps in question (twice now, more or less) and found pretty conclusively that merely uninstalling Parallels fixes it, I'm also a bit doubtful it will help.

As mentioned I had the same problem long before I moved to my current computer, so it's not an issue of moving my files over from there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. robotspacer

robotspacer Bit poster

Finally a solution! (Thanks to Ralph Johns in this thread.)

I opened System Preferences and disabled the two network port configurations it adds... Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT. Sure enough, even with out a restart, that fixed the problem. Toggling them back on brings the problem back.

I use the bridged ethernet setting in Parallels, and as far as I can tell disabling those ports has no effect on that setting. I'm still able to get online in Windows without any problems.

5. swatcat

swatcat Bit poster

The problem is in Library / StartupItems which contains two folders Parallels & Parallels Transponder.
    These are the drivers for Parallels when removed and after a restart iChat will work flawless however Parallels gives the message about the missing drivers when opening the application.
    No doubt in my mind these offending drivers need to be rewritten.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. summerleas

summerleas Bit poster

I totally agree. My symptoms were different. Mail opens normally and I can send/receive mail normally EXCEPT mail with attachments. If I try to reply to or forward a mail with an attachment Mail freezes for 1 to 2 minutes and then responds normally. In some cases Activity monitor reports "Mail not responding" but it eventually responds normally!. Removing the two network ports sovles the problem without even a restart and Parallels starts without giving a message.