IE8 & Shared Folders: disable "...page has an unspecified security risk..." msg how?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cvhyphus, Jul 28, 2009.

1. cvhyphus

cvhyphus Bit poster

Internet Explorer 8 puts up a message box which says:

[​IMG]

when I do so much as right-click on files in my Parallels Shared Folders, which of course look like network drives to Windows, and I want to make these message boxes go away. I haven't tried a lot of file types, but it is definitely true for .zip, .rar, and .exe files, which are the two most common file types of the files I wish to share. The only exception to this confirmation requirement is with files in the shared Documents/My Documents folder.

I have searched and searched both on this forum and the rest of the web without finding what I really need, which is to disable this functionality completely. I found an article on the web showing how to enable specific sites on the intranet, using methods that do not work in this situation. The same article said that the message could be disabled completely through the custom-level settings, but the author was not going to explain how to do it as this would create a security hole, so I tried this approach. I have tried custom settings for the IE's intranet Zone, even enabling everything, and I have tried disabling automatic detecting network drives:

[​IMG]

I also searched the web for IE8 registry settings without success. The OS X firewall and sharing settings have no bearing on this from what I've tried so far.

I went through all of the threads on this site on security issues with Shared folders. I found on this forum to this issue were some discussions on .NET security issues. I went ahead and performed the procedure with mscorcfg.msc mentioned in the discussion ".net security on shared folders" as I was desperate enough (then and now) to try anything remotely promising. I knew this had a low probability of success with fixing the problem I'm having now, and it did not, but I thought there was a chance that IE 8's security, or the Windows components which make up IE, had at least awareness of .NET security.

As for the system I am using, I'm running IE 8 on Windows XP SP3 under Parallels 4.0, and uninstalling IE 8 is not an option. What I want is unfettered access to the parts of my development system's main hard drive that I have elected to share with a particular VM for common files, including executables and compressed files, which I want to use in both environments. Is this a lot to ask for in Vista or Windows 7 as well? has anyone else experienced new problems like this accessing Parallels shares with IE 8? Can anyone help me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files: