If I use transporter, do I do it instead of installing XP?

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by forbiddendonut, Apr 18, 2007.

1. forbiddendonut

forbiddendonut Bit poster

This may seem like a dumb question, but here goes:

If I am considering using the Transporter, do I run this utility after I already have installed Windows XP on my Mac, or do I run the Transporter first, which then will install XP on the Mac through the Transporter process?

I actually have a separate copy of the XP software that I plan to use for the Mac. If the install key for the copy on the current PC to be Transported is different, when will I input the separate install key to make sure that MS knows that I am using a separate copy of the software?

Also, I have read that it is better to do a clean install of the XP software anyway, for a variety of reasons. should I just do a clean XP install and then use Transporter for data files?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

If reinstalling from scratch makes sense for you, that's no doubt the best way to go.

If you have made a big investment of time or money in configuring your existing PC software, as I did, you might try transporter. If it works for you, you've saved yourself a lot of headache. I had some custom software on my PC that was installed by an IT company who was contracted by a company I do business for; there was a boatload of background server stuff, an encryption layer of some sort, a custom email server using non-typical ports, etc, etc, etc. It took the guy most of a day to get it installed, configured, and working, and when I decided to try moving to Parallels, I was dreading going through all that again.

But my oh my, the whole enchilada moved over without a hitch, and "just worked" under parallels without a second of trouble.

If I had nothing much on the PC in the first place, I'd just reinstall from scratch.

If you do use Transporter, you'll still need a few things from the original XP disc (a few drivers), and a new key of course, but that's the sum of it. You can be up and running in much less time.