Installed ARM64 and now have 2 .pvms and all my data are in the old one

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by rbo, Feb 24, 2021.

1. rbo

rbo Bit Poster

Hi

Got a new MacBook with M1 chip. Restored Time Machine backup and everything is there. No need to do anything special with the .pvm file. BUT, as I now know, I needed new Parallels version and new Windows Version because of the M1 chip.

I followed very good instructions from this forum and was able to download the Windows 10 ARM64 installation file. Parallels installation installed it, but now I have Windows 10.pvm and Windows 10 (1).pvm. The old one is 84 GB. The new one is 10 GB.

I still have the old computer, but I can't run them both at the same time because I have one license key. (i will try the free trial on the old machine to see.) So I can't compare easily.

What do I need to do to get the data from my Windows 10.pvm (intel) to my Windows 10 (1).pvm (ARM64)

Thanks

2. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

You can run both VMs at the same time, the old one on your Intel Mac with the Parallels license you bought and the new one on the M1 Mac with the free license you got for the Technical Preview. Then just copy the data you need from your old VM to the new one.

3. rbo

rbo Bit Poster

Thanks, I'll try that.