Insufficient memory to install Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by llee8820, Feb 1, 2007.

1. llee8820

llee8820 Bit poster

Hi all, i recently bought windows vista and was trying to install it on Parallels. But when i tried installing it, i recieve an error saying " Insufficient memory allocated for Windows Vista (192 MB). The minimum amount of memory required to successfully run Windows Vista is 256 MB."
    After changing my memory in the configuration setting, i recieve yet another error "The memory size specified (256 MB) exceeds the recommended maximum of 192 MB. You must reduce the memory size otherwise you will not be able to start the virtual machine."

What can i do to change my memory so i can install windows. I currently run on a macbook with Tiger 10.4.8 with parallels version 3150. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. llee8820

llee8820 Bit poster

Does anyone know how?

3. ManuCH

ManuCH Bit poster

Try going to Preferences -> Memory -> Adjust reserved memory, and verify that you have reserved enough memory for Parallels if you've set it to "Manually".

-Manuel

4. llee8820

llee8820 Bit poster

I tried that, however my memory has already been set to the max of 244. Thanks for the effort.

5. simplicity

simplicity Member

I am guessing your MacBook has 512 MB of RAM? I don't think you have enough memory for both the host and guest. You can still run XP at 128 MB, but perhaps think about a memory upgrade..

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

And even if you can get it to "work" on 512 M, it won't be pleasant at all. Imho, you need 1.5M at the min to run Parallels efficiently.

7. sgljungholm

sgljungholm Bit poster

192mb

I am having the same issue.
    I have a MacBook with 2GB of ram. Installed ok but no networking. It was working fine until I tried to use cohearance(sp) mode then it broke.

I am now trying to install it on 2 different Mini's. One has 512 the other 1.25GB of RAM.
    Both give the same error about only having 192 MB of ram even after changing prefs.