Intel VT-x compatible CPU required to run Parallels Desktop on Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Maru4, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Maru4

Maru4 Banned

I plan to buy a new Mac mini, and I want to run Parallels Desktop on it. I can choose either a 2.0 GHz CPU or a 2.26 GHz when I order my Mac mini.

I heard that the 2.0 GHz model does not support Intel VT-x, and that only the 2.26 GHz version does.

I wonder what this means as far as running Parallels Desktop is concerned. Is it possible to run Parallels on the 2.0 GHz version of the Mac mini at all? If so, is it slower because of the lack of Intel VT-x support?

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear Maru4,

In case the processor does not support Intel VT-x, Parallels Desktop will not installed on the Mac.
    Please check the full list of system requirements:
    http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/sr/

Processors Support for any 32- or 64-bit Intel® Core Duo processor featured in new Intel® Macs::

* Intel® Core Solo
    * Intel® Core Duo
    * Intel® Core 2 Duo
    * Intel® Dual-Core Xeon

Includes full support for Intel Virtualization Technology (VT)

3. buddster

buddster Bit poster

How do you know if you're CPU supports it? I have a 17" iMac at work with at 1.86ghz Core duo. Is there a way I can check?

4. buddster

buddster Bit poster

How do you know if you're computer is VT-x compatible? I have a 17 iMac at work with a 1.86ghz core duo. Is there a way I can look it up?