Internet Lost when running S.L and Win &

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by LoriF, Feb 16, 2011.

1. LoriF

LoriF

I have set up a static ip on the windows 7 side through network configuration. I have to have both sides have ips of our local network, in order to connect to our domain and use some programs that are just not mac happy. I set the network up as bridged and all works great at first.

Then I get no error messages, but I don't have internet on either side. I have to shut down parelles, turn off my airport and then turn it back on again.

I used chat, but we did a fresh start up of parelles and of course it worked. They had me change my bridged settings to default. About 5 minutes later I lost internet again.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Developers

Seems that you have assigned the same IP-address for both VM and Mac.. this will not work. The addresses need to be different. May be you need to contact your network administrator

3. LoriF

LoriF

I actually set both of them up in dhcp with seperate ip's. What is odd is my set up is exactly the same as the users that I am running into issues with. I ran mine all day yesterday and I didn't drop my internet at all.

So both are set in bridge mode, default adaptor. And I have installed the tools on both of them.

4. gaylam

gaylam

Similar internet problem...

If this needs to be in another thread or on it's own let me know and I'll move.

Me:
    Mac OS X 10.6.6
    with Parallels Desktop6 for Mac, Build 6.0.11994, (Revision 637263; February 17, 2011)
    I'm not super savvy, but I can follow instructions well.

My Problem:
    I don't know what I fiddled with, but now I can't access the internet via Windows7 interface/Parallels and Firefox via Mac OSX both at the same time.
    I can access the internet, somehow, via Windows7 on Parallels, but the MAc Airport signal shows nothing but a "!".
    If I shut down the Parallels VM then I monkey around with the airport a little then it will eventually reconnect and I can access the internet via the Mac. I'm used to running in Coherence mode, because I need Windows/IE to run certain programs and websites that are not Mac friendly, but my preferred method for internet browsing is via Firefox on the Mac.
    This is a very new problem. I have been able to use both at the same time successfully up til now. I've gone into Mac, System Preferences, Network, and I wouldn't begin to guess how to assign an IP address. I clicked on Renew DHCP Lease hoping that would do it, but it didin't help. Hopefully I didn't make a bigger mess. Any idea what I did to foul things up?
    This may or may not be related to my current problem; I happened to allow a nasty browser redirect hijack called mywebsearch in, but I went to http://redshifter.blogspot.com/2009/08/mywebsearch-hijacked-firefox-on-mac.html and found a way to kill it - at least I think it's dead. I know so little about this stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Developers

Most likely somehow option "Used Host's MAC address for DHCP requests" was turned on. To turn it off, go to the menu "Virtual Machine" -> Configuration -> Hardware -> Network, choose "Airport" and turn off the option. Then switch back to the value you had originally (likely it is Default)

6. gaylam

gaylam

It's a miracle!! I have no idea when I made that change, but it seems to be better now. Thank you so much for your help!

-Gayla

7. optip

optip

I soul no melody when I prefabricated that commute, but it seems to be outgo now.

8. BobbyR

BobbyR Banned

You might have changed that setting while doing experiments on your system. I got the same mistakes too. [​IMG]