iPod Video 60gb is unable to work within Parallels!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by snoopy, Jul 9, 2006.

1. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

I have purchased and installed Parallels on Macbook, and everything works just fine, like on native WinXP, but iPod Video 60gb.

I have tried re-creating a VM and re-installing whole WinXP, and these are what I face:

1. unable to access..

After installing WinXP with SP2, iPod can be recogized as a USB disc and it is ok to mount to "My Computer". But, it is not accessible.
    File system: unknown
    Capacity: 0MB

It's Windows format, but Parallels doesn't see it as FAT?? BTW, the iPod is all ok within Bootcamp

2. Following the failure of accessing, I install iTune 6.0.5 and try to see if it is able to access through iTune. After installation and reboot, it is more disappointing. Now, it causes any related programs freeze, e.g., iTune, My Computer, ... And, it also cannot be removed from WinXP normally.

I just search 'iPod' in the forum, and there is not similar problem reported. I don't know if it is just a separable case, or a general problem. Is there anyone can play iPod Video 60gb within Parallels?

By the way, I have reported the problem to Parallels' Support, and they dont reply me at all in weeks. Is it a company's policy to setup the support system?

2. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

I think iPOD video would be one of those things that I would use on the "Mac side" or BootCamp. For me, if a program works fine for the Mac side, I use that program there, but if there is a program not available, or doesn't work, for the Mac side, I try it in Parallels.

I don't see the point in pounding on a program to get it to work on one side, when the other side is available with a working solution.

3. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

Thank you for repling, but I don't get your point.

Do you mean If anyone can play any device (or any software) on either Bootcamp or MacOS, then he/she will have no reason to run Parallels?? If you are right, what reasons for people paying $49.99 purchasing it?

I do need to use Windows, and I do like to run Parallels but Bootcamp. I think most of Parallels' users do have the same situation. But, most of us will choice either Parallels or Bootcamp because it isn't worth to have double WinXP no a Mac.

Anyway, the key question is...

iPod on Parallels:
    (1) Parallels is not compatible with all kinds of iPods?
    (2) Parallels is compatible with iPod-series, but only iPod Video 60gb?
    (3) Parallels is compatible with all series of iPods.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  4. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

Reasons for Mac-users to run iPod with Windows format:

1. iPod with default format is not compatible with Windows PCs.
    2. And, it cannot upgrade a iPod with Windows format on MacOS.

5. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

I think you are correct....
    A virtual machine will hardly ever be 100% compatible. Honestly, I have never run BootCamp since for me, I don't need an either/or OS on my Mac.

My needs for the "perfect" Mac is to use both OSes at the same time. I find myself using Mac about 80% of the time, and Windows about 20%. That's my world.

I don't think we will ever see Parallels or any other VM system being 100%.

You ask why anyone would pay money for such a scenario. Well, ok, simple: convenience. In my situation, before Parallels came out, I had two computers running: A Dell Tower, and a Mac G4 Tower. Both of these computers were connected via a KVM switch so I could use one keyboard, one mouse, one monitor. I networked the two computers so I could have a shared folder. I used the Dell 8400 Tower about 20% of the time.

Because of Parallels, I have been able to shut that entire KVM system down. For me, the inconvenience of having those two hunkers taking up so much room was worth the purchase of Parallels. I would have gladly paid twice the $49.99 for that.

You use what works. This Mac with Parallels and Mac OS, co-existing, is simply an awesome box. A virtual machine requires sharing resources, and flipping back and forth. You exploit the stengths of either side to find your solution.

6. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Well, for your situation, I see the reason... but I don't understand why, if one has a Mac, that a person would want to set up an iPOD on a Windows box as its host environment. The iPOD is far better, or maybe more flexible, on a Mac.

From reading the messages on this board, you know that Parallels is currently weak with its port access. I don't think you'll be successful at all with an iPOD unitl perhaps a "Version 2" release. Admittedly, I have never tried an iPOD via Parallels. I just don't have a reason for it so I'm obviously biased against the very idea.

7. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

I use iPod as a USB DIsc, too. And, it has to use windows format, or it can not work on Windows PC. Not good luck..

8. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

It is just hard to image and believe that iPod Video 60gb is not in the Parallels's (usb) support list, since it is "Apple iPod", and it is not a Sony or something else.

9. VTMac

VTMac Pro

When ytou plug your IPod in, I suspect your Mac is automatically mounting it. If so, you will need to unmount it on the OSX side before you will have any chance of it working on the Parallels side. It's can't be simultaneously mounted by both OSes. I haven't tried this as I sync my iPod on the OSX side. This is the cause of the majority of people troubles with USB devices.

10. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

No, the automount of Parallel's USB device is set to off. And, it is umounted from MacOS and then USB device connection is turn on for Parallels manually, and it appears to be mounted as a USB Mass Storage on WinXP, and then all relative programs are frozen when they are openned.

For a chance, if you just have a iPod in windows format and play well within Parallels' WinXP, maybe you can help me to identify what problem it is. Thx :)

11. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

On my side I don't get your point. Surely the point of owning a Macintosh computer is that you have made a decision to use a Mac as your main OS/PC?
    iPod is Apple hardware, it is 100% supported by the main OS on your PC so why don't you use it there?

12. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

I'll bet the Sony doesn't work either... My point is, the USB ports, Firewire ports, are not complete. In my opinion, they are just barely on the positive side of not broken, in this first generation release.

Why would you think the iPod's port access won't give problems when there are ample messages here of USB issues?

13. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

I also have a 256MB USB 2.0 disc and it works in spite of Apple iPod's problems.

It should not happen on a 'Final release', and if it's RC3, RC4, ... or, RC1000, and I will take the risk.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  14. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

It is the same reason that people ask for Bootcamp and Parallels Desktop, isn't it?

15. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

wtf? Of course I understand why someone would want to run Bootcamp and/or Parallels. I run both myself. I run them because I have software and even some hardware that will only work in a Windows environment.
    What I don't understand is why someone would try and use their iPod in Parallels when they have OSX - this already supports your hardware 100%! :confused:

16. snoopy

snoopy Junior Member

I thought I had said...

Reasons for Mac-users to run iPod with Windows format:

1. iPod with default format is not compatible with Windows PCs.
    2. And, it cannot upgrade a iPod with Windows format on MacOS.

=> it cannot upgarde a Windows iPod on MacOS, or it will just restore the iPod and destroy all of data and songs. So, if user cannot play iPod within Parallels Desktop, he/she will be forced to install a Bootcamp and a double WinXP for the purpose of upgrading iPod.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  17. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Yes... I would think so. One can disagree on principal since Parallels doesn't place warnings about compartibilities on its ports (I haven't really looked, though), and complain, complain, and complain.

Or be an adaptable user and use what works. We ****know**** that Parallel's port access is weak and unpredicatble. So, adapt! Use the method that works.

And, dig around here for messages regarding how, there are ways of using double WinXP installations, via Parallels and Bootcamp. I wouldn't keeping banging on this, it is time to move on. Adapt. On this release, you are going to have Windows iPod problems. That is the fact. Move on. Adapt.... Go with Bootcamp for your iPod.

18. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

Okay, now I understand your problem. Sorry if my answers were a little strong worded.
    The following solution may or may not work...(recommended somewhere on this forum for various USB connection problems... I am not sure where....).
    * Connect your iPod
    * Disconnect by putting it into the trash
    * Start Parallels in Windowed mode.
    * Use the Parallels menu to connect your iPod -> Devices/USB/iPod

You have to bear in mind that Parallels is using virtulizing technology to emulate much of the environment so sometimes it doesn't work quite as it is supposed to yet (particularly USB support). If you need hardware support Bootcamp is probably a better option.

19. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

However... :p my advise would be to back up your data somehow and use your iPod on your MacBook ;)

20. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

Restore on PC side

The other way to try and do it is restore the iPod under parallels, which should reformat it to a windows system. Then it should be able to talk to iTunes windows (and iTunes mac, I think?)

Jeanne