Issues installing Parallels on 10.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by thedoc, Nov 4, 2007.

1. thedoc

thedoc Bit poster

I've had Parallels running fine on 10.4 and have just upgraded to 10.5.

Have been trying to install Parallels onto my iMac and the installer gets stuck at 'Running Parallel Desktop Installer scripts' where the whole installer just freezes. This is the most recent installer from this website.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Also having issues with 10.5 WiFi but that is for a different forum!

2. rsleonard

rsleonard Bit poster

Check out

Hello...look at the thread immediately prior to this, describing the nightmare I'm going through. I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get my virtual hard drive working again.

3. Marian

Marian Bit poster

I have been trying to get my Parallels to install and I have the exact same problem!!
    I certainly hope someone out there knows how to fix this. I really don't want to spend $30
    after having just paid for this program!

4. beta_registered.user.order

beta_registered.user.order Bit poster

Take a number....

Parallels destroyed my working BOOTCAMP installation after the upgrade to 10.5 and any attempt to install a virtual disk based installation of XP fails completely (spinning beachball of death). Oh, and open a support ticket and hold your breath. I have done clean BOOTCAMP installs (FULL FORMAT) and it happily destroys them as well. Same for virtual disk based installs.

My tickets have not even gotten a response. And I am not paying 30$ to call them so I can pay them to fix something they should have caught in QA before the release of Leopard. Their customer service sucks to be honest.

The irony is I was about to provision an office with 50 Macbook Pros and bundle them with Parallels, but I would not be caught dead doing that now. Our colo installation of xserves will have to be similarly re-evaluated as this virtualization product so far only works "virtually", actual attempts to get it working are pointless.

And the irony we are in the "community" section which is isolated from the main parallels site so they people do not realize there is even a user forum.

5. ebaur

ebaur Bit poster

I managed to solve my issue with the installer hanging in 10.5. I turned off Internet Sharing (I had my WiFi setup to share out the ethernet connection).

As soon as that was turned off, the installtion preflight went very quickly.

For anyone who's intersted, you can tell where the installer is stuck by looking at the Activity Monitor - put it in the heirachial view - and look at the processes started by the installer. You'll see that "Internet Sharing" is listed (the actually binary is in /user/libexec/InternetSharing"). I couldn't tell (by looking at the preflight script) why they were calling this program, and I could get it to run via the command line myself... but turning off that feature in the Sharing preference pane and then restarting the installer fixed the issue.

6. beta_registered.user.order

beta_registered.user.order Bit poster

Unfortunately, I am not running internet sharing or any other service other than SSH.

7. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

UnidentifiedCoward,

Could you please PM me with the ticket ID you have submitted to our support (it should be in the auto-reply email) or email address you've used to request support. I will look into this issue with support not responding you.

8. thedoc

thedoc Bit poster

Tried turning sharing off, still gets stuck... Any other ideas?

9. ebaur

ebaur Bit poster

You may still be able to use the same research tactic that I used. From the activity view heirarchial view, you can see what processes the installer kicked off. You'll probably see bash (since the preflight script is a bash script) and then other things under that.

You can find the preflight script by right-clicking the installer package file and choosing "Show Package Contents"... look around for a script called "preflight" (I forget the path, and I don't have a Mac in front of mek right now). If you open the preflight script in a text editor, you can look around for the command that bash seems to be stuck on. I don't know how informative that will be for a solution, but at least you'll learn what in actually hanging, so you'll be one step closer.

10. CLW

CLW Bit poster

Installer Freezes!

I'm having the same issue (Installer freezes) and have sent two requests for email support. Never got an auto-reply from Parallels or any other type of response from them.

Internet sharing is off.

I waited to install parallels on my brand-spanking-new MBPro until I had installed Tiger and did a clean-install, so the OS is new and shouldn't have any problems... ?

Exasperation! Frustration!

11. rsleonard

rsleonard Bit poster

More Of The Same

I thought that my issues, relating to the installation of Parallels on 10.5 had been resolved nearly a month ago. Now, out of the blue, I got a message saying that my "trial activation key" has expired. I paid $80 in May...HELP! I feel like extra money is being squeezed out of me. And I have stuff on my windows drive I have to get to!!!

12. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

You should ask Parallels Support about this case.

13. shavital

shavital Member

14. shavital

shavital Member

Issues installing and running Parallels (Tiger/Leopard)

Then how did I get to this forum?"

15. rsleonard

rsleonard Bit poster

A classic response

Oh, this is great. Now they are telling me that I actually purchased 2.5 and need to spend $49.95 to upgrade...this despite the fact that I have an invoice -- that has now been furnished to them -- from "Element 5" that says I purchased 3.0. It will say a lot about this company and the support for the community if they re-examine their thinking process here...and furnish me the software that I actually purchased (apparently, even though I bought 3.0, I was furnished 2.5 and the key no longer works)...

So this is a human error...not necessarily a machine.

I will give the company a chance and report back on their sense...appropriate or otherwise!

16. shavital

shavital Member

It would seem that the human error was double:
    -"Element 5" (<http://www.element5.com/> that belongs to Digital River) sent you the wrong software. It will say a lot about this company if they re-examine their sale/warehousing procedures, and rectify their wrong. They are the ones you might want to furnish the invoice.
    - when you received the package, didn't you verify what software (version) was included in it? I purchased Parallels 3.0 from a different on-line vendor, the User Manual, which I am looking at right now, says 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac' on the front cover.

To which company are you giving a chance? Element 5 or Parallels? Which of them is at fault?

17. dengosha

dengosha Bit poster

Solved Install Problem on Leopard

I had a lot of problems with the installation of Parallels. The installer worked ok, but when I created a virtual machine with Windows XP I kept getting freezes with Windows. I uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels about four times and was just about to throw in the towel, when lo a light went off in my head. I did everything I was told to do by reading stuff on this site, but what did not work was this: Do not use Express Installation. This caused all my problems with Leopard. Use Custom--this will bring up all the familiar Windows install windows. I used an iso image of my XP cd (but I also tried that with Express Install). Went without a hitch and now I am a very happy camper. One other thing that I did do was turn off "sharing". I am totally blown away by being able to switch so esily between OS X and XP==it's like a miracle.

18. branthenne

branthenne Bit poster

I'm having the same exact issue on my macbook pro. I actually got it to install on a family computer (imac) fine - but I didn't already have parallels v2 running on there. I really like how their instructions involve removing the previous version completely (http://kb.parallels.com/entry/19/235/ - step 5). Now, I have nothing. So now I've paid for two versions, and I have nothing to show for it. I sent in an email requesting support - nothing, not even an auto-response. I'd call in, but I object to having to pay for support for a consumer software package in general, and specifically because I am stuck without version 2 precisely because their support method of choice - their knowledgebase - instructed me to remove it.

With no clear answer coming out of parallels, and no way to get support for something I paid for, without paying more money, all I am left with is kvetching on a community forum. Must be a tuesday morning... now I get to spend another hour screwing around with VMWare's solution.

19. dengosha

dengosha Bit poster

I had the same problem, until I ignored EXPRESS INSTALLATION and did a custom install ten everything installed correctly. See my posts dengosha

20. dengosha

dengosha Bit poster