Issues with Linux Guest under XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by entropy, Nov 15, 2006.

1. entropy

entropy Bit poster

Evening

I understand that XP under Linux might be a better choice but for now i'm trying to do Linux guest under XP host. I tried several distros last night and each one seemed to crash completely (or just hang) towards the end of the install process. Then again i've only had Parallels for a couple days and there is probably something i'm doing wrong in the config. I created the virtual machine, configured it with the amount of ram (1G ... my system has 2G), although it usually gave me a message saying i was exceeding the recommended amount of 914 which seemed odd, anyway all the other config. stuff seemed straightforward enough and when i was satisfied i clicked on the start icon with the install disk in the drive and as i say, the install would go fine until near the end and then just hang permanently. The computer i'm installing on is a 64bit one (CPU) although all the distros i use are 32bit because of the relative lack of software on the repos for 64 bit. Would that be an issue?

Anyway, any suggestions welcomed, i'll keep fiddling with it :)

2. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

I'd use 512mb since Parallels is buggy about memory. I'd try 32bit Ubuntu.

3. rotsey

rotsey Bit poster

I have installed Ubuntu 6.10 on XP and although I have a problem where it wont boot off the hdd after I install it it runs ok. It installs every time.

www.ubuntu.com

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

David Corrales, it is not a Parallels bug, really. And i know only one distro (fedora core 5) that falls to kernel panic due to memory.

entropy, which distros you tried to install ?

5. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Thanks for clearing that out for me :)
    By the way, what about linux tools *wink wink*

6. Ynot

Ynot Pro

David Corrales, unfortunately, there are no any linux tools for Parallels in that world. We have plans to develop them in third version of Parallels.

7. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Ah ok, good to know when to expect them. Thanks for the info!

8. rotsey

rotsey Bit poster

So after all what is the best Linux distro to install on XP. Anyone.

Be good if someone at parallels could answer that.

9. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

It depends on your likings. I prefer Ubuntu because it's debian base and it suits all my needs. Some like Fedora, others SuSe (which I wouldn't use now that Novell sold it's ass to Microsot).

10. entropy

entropy Bit poster

Well, a few, Mepis, Kubuntu, Mandriva 2006 and PCLinuxOS, all had the same hang near the end of the install. Could have been something wrong in my config of the virtual mach.... after all it was my first night of trying it out. I am going to have another go this weekend with Kubuntu 6.10 which i d/loaded tonite, and see what happens. I followed the Wizard but didn't go too deeply into the more detailed instructions.

11. entropy

entropy Bit poster

Success

Hey, i got Kubutu 6.10 installed tonite under XP no problems, Automatix is doing its thing now

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer.

13. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Haven't you been reading all the FUD Ballmer's been speaking since the deal was done? Wow, I said no to Novell for now.

14. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Do you know for sure the difference between what they are doing with their commercial product and their Open Source product?

15. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

What they're doing is basicaly this. Novell's coming to an agreement for 5 years with MS so they won't "sue them for IP infringments". Ballmer already said FUD like "if you're not Suse, you're getting sued" and crap like that. That's the reason I'm against that kind of cheap ass treaties.
    Let's hope they fix up the GPLv3 fast enough (so it stops pissing off Linus), or at least make it available to cut the loophole they're using. It's really incredible that Novell is taking years of -free- effort from lots of people and signing such a deal.
    Go check the reactions from the Samba team which are dancing from joy.

16. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Isn't a lot of this old stuff about Suse? I remember firing off an angry email to them back in to 8.0 days about this when the first hooked up with Novell. I'm using Suse now because it seemed like the easiest path to real 64bit, but they have constantly, since 5.0, brought out leading edge releases with a lot of bugs that are fatal, mostly from their love affair with K. I've experimented with Gentoo a lot, and am beginning to think that it is the best solution, if they can stay afloat.

17. constant

constant Forum Maven

So if there are patent problems with Microswift, then Novell is safe. If there are no patent problems, then Novell is safe. The only Linux company the monolith will recommend, belongs to Novell. The Linux community seem to now have a great amount of resolve to make sure there are no patent problems for the entire Linux community. And Novell get $400m, for nothing, and the community are determined to do all the work for them to ensure no patent problems. What a very good piece of business operation.

18. pwhittemore

pwhittemore Bit poster

I'm having a similar problem. I see only the initial BIOS startup messages, then no sign of even attempting to get to the point where it would try to access the HD. :confused:

I'm thinking it's hangin on the memory test. I remember a problem I had with SuSE 10.0 some time ago, where it hung if you gave it 512MB or more. If you gave it 508, it installed fine. And when I saw the other comment in this thread about Parallels not handling larger memory configs (I have 2GB), I thought I'd try reducing the Kubuntu memory limit to 256MB and see if the problem is still reproducible. It's installing now.

19. pwhittemore

pwhittemore Bit poster

Kubuntu 6.10 Install under XP host - NOT!

Seems to be hung again.

Has anyone successfully installed a Linux distro under an XP host? This is getting silly. I bought Parallels specifically to run Linux under Windows. I really like it when it's working, but a hung distro is of little use.

Note: I'm installing the 32-bit x86 build of Kubuntu on an AMD-64 machine running 32-bit XP. Could that be the difference between working and non-working Linux install cases?

Maybe the Parallels support for AMD is a little lacking? Or maybe I should try the AMD-64 version of Kubuntu? What view of the hardware does Parallels provide to the guest OS? Can the guest use the AMD-64 even under 32-bit x86 XP?

Any insights here would be most appreciated. Thanks.

20. pwhittemore

pwhittemore Bit poster

I've now tried various memory configs, plus changing the accelleration option to Normal, and using more generic Linux options rather than Debian, and they all hang eventually at some point during the Linux install. Parallels is running fine -- I can reset the VM for example -- but the VM is hung. BTW, after resetting, the VM will no longer boot. The last thing I see is the BIOS memory test output. There's a machine beep (just one) and it stops booting. Just sits there after the memory test has passed.