JanusVM on Parallels...?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by extensivegroup, Sep 30, 2006.

1. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

I'm intrigued by JanusVM under VMWare, the internet privacy application seen here:

http://janusvm.peertech.org/index.html

Curious to know if anyone has tried VMWare under a Parallels VM and been able to try this? Or does anyone know if there is a similar thing for Parallels that would use TOR, etc?

It would seem easy to compile and set up a similar thing, but I'm no developer.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  2. joem

joem Forum Maven

It sounds appealing, but you can't run a virtual machine on a virtual machine and still use the hardware virtual support since the hypervisor must run on the bare metal, and not on top of another hypervisor.

The functionality could certainly be made to work, but it sounds non-trivial (and I am a software developer).

3. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

That's what I thought. I realize that VMWare for Mac might be out soon, but considering the degree of "external" machine procedures, I'm really wondering if the VMWare solution would even work on a Mac-based version of VMWare. So I did write one of the JanusVM developers who replied with the following advice. I'd be interested in helping out but am not a heavy "roll your own kernel" kind of developer: