July 15 and still no June build

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by jimcoyle, Jul 14, 2008.

1. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

The title of this thread says it all. Why were we even told there would be a new build by the end of June? I see no point in putting a date on vaporware.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Build is still testing, we want to publish product without any problem

3. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

I understand that, and that is admirable. What is not acceptable is assigning a non-realistic date for completion of the build. This fix process has been at least six weeks now. I would suggest that in the future Parallels never declare a fixed build will be provided by a certain date, or better yet, only release a build when something as essential as Parallels Tools absolutely works.

4. John@Parallels

It was only ETA, I never said exactly, and thank you that you are understanding situation.
    Actually the main problem is to make tools compatible with 2.6.25 kernel

5. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

The June date was not presented as an ETA. Although you did not use the work "exactly," you clearly said it would be out by the end of June. That's why I thought I'd have my Linux installation running properly two weeks ago.

6. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Here are quotes from a previous posts regarding the fix for Linux Parallels Tools:

"5608 doesn't have Parallels Tools compatible with Ubuntu 8.04
    5604 was unofficial build, we are preparing new build which will be available in the end of June"

"We are aware about this problem, and new build will be ready at the end of June"

"For Ubuntu 8.04 please wait updated build in June"

"Please wait June's build"

"If kernel version is above 2.6.23 in PCLinux please wait June's update build"

Sorry to pile it on, but I think these quotes prove that the June date was not presented as ETA - you clearly said end of June. And here we are a week short of the end of July, competing products already work correctly and we loyal users are still waiting for an update, now without any idea of when it really will be ready. A fix for Parallel Tools for Linux has been in the works for two months now but a fix was promised within a month.

As I've said before, (and will say no more after this post) this just shows either contempt for your customers, ineptitude or both. And, as someone said here in the forum, you guys aren't some open source developer - you're a commercial product and have to have some accountability to your customers. There has been no explanation as to why this fix is taking so long; obviously it is a low priority for Parallels. I have stopped recommending Parallels to my clients for just this reason.

7. John@Parallels

For now tools are available in Parallels Server, and are working to bring them to PD3

8. stf

stf Bit poster

July 26 and still no June build

Must be very close to release date.

9. orzee

orzee Bit poster

This turning out to be like an Abbot and Costello sketch of "Who's on first"

Parallels is not going to release a working version BEFORE the release of PD4 ($$$). Once PD3 users have upgraded to PD4, Parallels might release a fix for PD3 users if they complain enough.

10. John@Parallels

Agree, it looks like this, but we are indeed planning to bring build with no dependencies for PD4 release,

11. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Key word is "planning."

12. John@Parallels

Yep,
    planning is not key word :)

This one
    with no dependencies for PD4 release,

13. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Or they may release the version 3 fix on the same day as version 4. That way the version 3 people can feel they're "behind" and feel compelled to purchase version 4.

As of tomorrow, the June build is 30 days late. How could it possibly take two months to fix this problem, particularly when the competition has already fixed it?