just have read some very critical postings about parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by nick-07, Jun 21, 2007.

1. nick-07

nick-07 Bit poster

I was looking for information on how to get solaris 10, under parallels, working with the internet, so if anyone can help me with this i would be very greatful. however, the reason i am on this forum now, is my having come accross one article in particular, saying we should all be given our money back, and implying this software is rubbish it would seem. !!!
    so, may I state my own experience, that these past few days having now installed mandriva, and solaris 10, I find if quite superb!!! it took some time and some installations to get it right, maybe I am a bt slow, but, now, I have two virtual machines, all my bookmarks from linux reinstalled, and all my passords, but the amazing thing is, using the imac, just bought, I can dock the virtual machine, keep it running, and if I want to say, go to a my shopping websites like amazon, I simply click on mandrake, and all my settings are intact. so far my experience with this has been very positive though I only bought it a week ago. or less. I hope this positve statement will be useful to others.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Sun has provided a nice compatible virtual machine ready to add to Parallels. It installed and ran perfectly with very little interaction on my part. Solaris has always run very well in Parallels and hopefully Parallels engineering will complete the Parallels Tools to better integrate it with OS X.

It also runs very well in Fusion and the integration with OS X is much better. It provides a preview of what to expect in a future Parallels release.

3. nick-07

nick-07 Bit poster

thank you for this information. can you supply me with more information, a suggested link perhaps?? will I find it ono the sun website?? I have just downloaded solaris 10, and installed, but am in need of connecting it t the internet.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You need to install the Parallels supplied network device driver. Once that is installed Solaris will accept DHCP update information from OS X via Parallels. It's been a while since I've read it but I recall this is all covered, lightly, in the PDF files that come with Parallels.

Edit: Took some digging, but here's the Sun link: http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=461d6b7d

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  5. nick-07

nick-07 Bit poster

I appreciate your trouble. I found the webpage, and am downloading the first of the files, it should be very satisfyng to have it all working. i suppose the next thing will be to visit blastwave, and get the whole thing fully functioning, once more. I have had solaris on anothe computer, but this virtualisation technology beats the need to reboot the computer.
    best wishes,

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven