Kali Linux - ARM Images

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by Matt., Dec 19, 2020.

1. SteevK

SteevK Bit Poster

I'm not sure what steps you're trying to follow... but yes, the iso works; there are steps that I mention in the email that have to be followed because sometimes the efivars don't get written properly, but that's unrelated to copy and paste - that has to do with not having the parallels tools available, assuming you mean you can't copy and paste into/out of the VM, and as far as I know, there's no build that has a working installer for aarch64 for the tools (at least, I haven't gotten one, and attempting to install them here just returns that aarch64 isn't supported.)

2. SteevK

SteevK Bit Poster

Also, I would not suggest Kali if you have no Linux experience in general. The iso I am providing is to test that things are actually working, this isn't just pre-access to a release to be able to tell people you're using it.

_thalamus likes this.
  3. Madhawa

Madhawa Bit Poster

yup. I also experienced issues with keyboard shortcuts. I think the device clipboard isn't accessible from VM (Maybe because of the lack of parallels tools support. I'm new to this as well so I'm not sure). Anyhow, I opened those GitHub pages by manually typing URLs inside the VM. copy paste worked for me in the VM. so that's why I suspect this is related to clipboard sharing.

4. peec35

peec35 Bit Poster

You're correct about parallels tools. They make the VM so much more usable. Can't wait till they get the Linux tools done. Here's a page that explains all the stuff the tools provide: Parallels Tools Overview

Madhawa likes this.
  5. _thalamus

_thalamus Bit Poster

Sadly this whole forum seems to be attracting people with no idea what a technical preview is, many of the threads and posts are just junk and it's really frustrating because the actually useful stuff vanishes in amongst the mountains of drivel. It would be nice if Parallels forum mods would actually do some moderation and delete some of the crap and repeated questions tbh.
    The whole point of a technical preview is to test stuff which is likely to be challenging to get to work in the first place and will probably be buggy - inexperienced users aren't going to be much help because they won't know how it *should* work.

6. Madhawa

Madhawa Bit Poster

when it comes to MBA and MBP base models, those usually get purchased by students or non-technical persons. most experienced are waiting for the 13" and 16" MBP high-end models with 4 thunderbolt ports. so bear with it.

7. _thalamus

_thalamus Bit Poster

I don't think that is the case at all. Regardless about whether it's a 'base' model, it's new technology which is more than likely to be purchased by early adopters who are usually tech savvy. The Homebrew M1/ARM64 issue trackers certainly suggest that it isn't just idiots that have bought these machines.
    I suspect it's more the 'bragging rights' of being able to run a very buggy preview version of Windows ARM64 on their M1 Mac that is sending them to this forum in droves tbh.

8. Madhawa

Madhawa Bit Poster

lol, yup could be true. people could have different POVs depends on our surroundings.

9. SteevK

SteevK Bit Poster

It is what it is - as it stands though, I do have an ISO that will work for installation but there are some manual steps. At this point, I'm not sure if any of the remainder of things are issues on our build process, or if they're on Parallels side.

1. The ISO is *never* recognized as a valid installation ISO for Kali - I've compared our label and contents to Debian, and aside from Kali not being Debian... it should recognize us as Kali... but it doesn't.
    2. Sometimes grub's installation doesn't write the efivars correctly, so no boot entry is created. Sometimes it does, seems to depend on the position of the sun and the moon when you do the installation, because I've had an ISO that installed and wrote them just fine... and then creating another VM and using the ISO... it didn't. Either way, going through BIOS and telling it to boot from a file and choosing grub manually, and then simply reinstalling grub fixes the issue. An annoyance but at least there is a workaround.
    3. Still no tools, and I haven't seen any updates here since December.

_thalamus likes this.
  10. _thalamus

_thalamus Bit Poster

I would suggest the issues are on Parallels side - certainly the detection issue, as it seems to be fairly rudimentary even in the so called 'stable' version. The efivars issue could be either.
    The lack of updates and tools isn't great, I was expecting more than two dumps of half finished buggy bits by now. QEMU is in a better state currently with few patch series applied to enable HVF and support Apple Silicon.
    I'm happy to have a play about with the Kali iso on both and see if I can reproduce that efivars issue on QEMU, I'll drop you an email.

11. GROOVY5000

GROOVY5000 Bit Poster

hey guys is kali working on M1? Spent my complete day on this still I don't seem to be nearby getting all the bugs in debian cli. It would be great if anyone could help. ping me

12. _thalamus

_thalamus Bit Poster

What do you mean, bugs in Debian cli?

13. GROOVY5000

GROOVY5000 Bit Poster

14. GROOVY5000

GROOVY5000 Bit Poster

I am stuck with no installation candidate and also add-apt-repository is not working

15. GROOVY5000

GROOVY5000 Bit Poster

16. _thalamus

_thalamus Bit Poster

Why do you keep spamming this thread with quotes but no reply to them?

17. GROOVY5000

GROOVY5000 Bit Poster

No reply to what? I just changed my username

18. _thalamus

_thalamus Bit Poster

Look above. That's the second time you've done it.

19. GROOVY5000

GROOVY5000 Bit Poster

Maybe by mistake , Sorry if you felt bad.

20. _thalamus

_thalamus Bit Poster

I don't 'feel bad', it's just irritating.