Latest Parallels won't run Windows 11 ARM on M2 Macs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AMS, Sep 26, 2023.

1. AMS

AMS Junior Member

I am using the latest version of Parallels on three Macs. Two use M2 processors. The third uses an Intel processor. Since updating to MacOS 14, the M2 Macs freeze at the Windows screen and won't let me even use the Start menu. I have reinstalled Parallels Tools and rebooted the VMs and the Mac to no benefit. But everything runs fine on my Intel Mac. I chatted with Parallels support, which suggested reinstalling tools. But, again, doing it doesn't help. I assume there is a bug in Parallels since everything worked right before the upgrade to macOS 14. Please help. Thanks.

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Thanks for bringing it up!
    I've just moved your ticket to the Second Line Support Team. Please expect a response shortly.

3. RonMexico

RonMexico Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever find a fix for this?

4. Mikhail Ushakov

Surprisingly but the issue has been fixed by clicking Actions > Reset. Would you check if it helps you to address it, please?

5. AMS

AMS Junior Member

Parallels helped me remotely. Windows had a feature that disabled the Start menu. I am not sure how he changed it, but he did, and then it started working.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  6. RonMexico

RonMexico Bit poster

Nope--I'm still having the issue. After the update, when I attempt to start my Windows 11 virtual machine, I see the spinning wheel for about one second and nothing happens. The same thing happens regardless of whether I click the virtual machine icon or press the power button in the control center.

7. RonMexico

RonMexico Bit poster

I've also tried starting my virtual machine in rollback mode, but that does not do anything to solve the issue.

8. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi Ron,
    Your issue is a bit different from the one described by AMS@.
    I've sent you an email yesterday with a workaround to fix your issue.

RonMexico likes this.
  9. RonMexico

RonMexico Bit poster

Email received and problem solved. Thanks so much!

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  10. MikeC42

MikeC42 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue as the original poster, but if I re-install Parallels Tools I can start Windows unless I restart. Otherwise Windows 11 is not opening. I tried Actions>Reset but it's not working for me. I haven't registered the ARM Windows that came with Parallels years ago, so not sure if this is the issue after installing the latest update. Thanks for any advice, Mike

11. IkechukwuN

IkechukwuN Junior Member

Thanks for this. Tried your recommendation and in 2024 it worked. Parallels back.