Launching EXE from OSX Finder won't start my Par3 Win2000 VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sheathe, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sheathe

sheathe Bit poster

If I launch a Windows (exe) application from OS X with a Parallels 3 environment that has a single Windows 2000 VM, nothing happens. I am under the impression that doing this should launch the VM and run the Windows application in it.

I checked the file association for exe files in Finder by right-clicking on an exe file and clicking Get Info. For some reason, the application associated with exe's was Firefox.app. I tried setting it to open with my Windows 2000 VM, but it was greyed out because it's not an application. Then I tried setting it to open with the Parallels application but this caused an error: "Unable to open VM configuration file... etc." because Parallels is expecting a configuration file, not an exe.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Scott

2. David3800

David3800 Bit poster

My .exe file is to "Windows Explorer Document" when I check it.

3. sheathe

sheathe Bit poster

Thank you for replying - from within Get Info, I selected "Open With" and browsed to the C drive of my running Windows 2000 VM, went to my WINNT folder and tried to select explorer.exe but unfortunately it was grayed out... I guess that is because OSX doesn't recognize Windows applications.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of internal Parallels configuration setting... I noticed that inside Explorer in my VM when I right click on a document and choose "Open With" Parallels shows a list of both PC and Mac applications to select from. However, since an exe is an application and not a document, I don't get the "Open with" option in Explorer.

Thanks again for your help. If you think of anything else please let me know.
    Scott

4. sheathe

sheathe Bit poster

Is my assumption about launching EXE's correct?

Hi - Just wondering if anyone can let me know if my assumption above is correct? e.g. That trying to launch an EXE from within Finder should automatically start Parallels?
    Thank you,
    Scott