Leopard 10.5.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Public Beta' started by FlatDog, Nov 15, 2007.

1. FlatDog

FlatDog

The thread was moved from Installation and Configuration in Mac OS by Xenos.

Since installing 10.5.1 earlier today my system has crashed 3 times when running Parallels. The screen dims out and you get the message to hit the power button to restart. Same problem three times in a row. I can boot into bootcamp just fine, and once I got Parallels to boot from it for about 5 mins before it crashed and burned again. Any ideas? Anyone else getting this?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  2. MichaelN

MichaelN

I also crash

I upgraded to 10.5.1 and started up Parallels. Instant Kernel Panic.

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Please, reinstall Parallels as described here in unit 5.2.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. FlatDog

FlatDog

ok, next time it happens I'll do that. So far today it is behaving itself, but in total 5 crashes / panics yesterday.

5. MichaelN

MichaelN

Nope.

That did not help.

I did as instructed: removed all the files, rebooted tha Mac, then re-installed Parallels. Then I fired up a VM. It asked me for my activation key---then my original activation key since it was an upgrade. I put both in, got the "Thank you for activating Parallels", then BOOM!.

The only relevant (as in timestamp == today) logs in ~/Library/Logs are in the Bootcamp log

Which are thew same as multiple other entries in that log.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

MichaelN, could you specify what PD build you use and what's your Mac RAM?

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. MichaelN

MichaelN

5540.0, and I have 5GB of RAM.

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

MichaelN, thank you very much for the detailed information. I'm delivering all the data on beta issues to our QA team. Kernel panic bug will be fixed in the build which is currently being developed.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. FlatDog

FlatDog

are you able to give us a timescale on when the next version will be release please? Thanks in advance.

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

I'm sorry, I can't let you know the exact date as this is protected information. Parallels team apologizes for making you waiting. We'd like to assure high quality and stability of the new build. This takes time. Please sorry.

MichaelN, you should also try to decrease amount of RAM for your Mac and for your VM. This can help - see an example in this thread.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  11. MichaelN

MichaelN

I don't have a lot of memory allocated to the VM, in fact the first time I crashed with only a 256MB VM (for a FreeBSD image). The second crash was for a 512MB VM (Win/XP).

You will, I hope, understand my reluctance to reduce the amount of actual RAM in the machine.

12. RealityExplorer

RealityExplorer

You can at least estimate for customers and change the estimate if things get delayed to allow customers to best decide how to work around bugs in the software they were kind enough to test for, eg whether to go to hassle of trying to revert to old version, or switching to VMWare *now* rather than giving parallels more time if it looks like this will happen soon. ie, its irrational business practice to wish to potentially lose customers by playing stupid games "protecting" information instead of treating customers like adults. That includes letting them make their own decision, eg with an "alpha" release, if they'd prefer to risk trying it vs. living with a bug.. This is the sort of poor customer service attitude that old large companies used to get away with.. but are suffering because of it and needing to learn better ways of doing things.

The above answer re: ETA for build is not acceptable from a modern software company, if there is anyone there with the slightest understanding of modern business practices rather than the old style incompetent practices companies used to get away with where they treat customers as the enemy (as a music industry exec recently acknowledged and apologized for re: digital music) where information of value to customers is "protected" rather than being "transparent" and open with customers and acting like adults rather than some high schoolish game playing silent treatment which is no more appropriate practice in the business world than it is in dysfunctional families.
    ie, it comes accross like: "no, we won't even guess when we might have a fix, its like what is called mushroom management, ie 'keep them in the dark and feed them sh*t' as we learned working for big companies that used to get away with it and haven't yet unlearned since like many software companies we are achieving a fraction of our potential due to poor management"

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  13. FlatDog

FlatDog

A rough ETA would be good, e.g. by the end of November, or sometime in January. Just to set our expectations correctly. At the moment I force myself to do a daily S/W update check, if it won't come until next year then that's OK, just so long as I know and can stop doing daily checks.

I don't want it rushed out the door, I would rather wait and have a better quality release, so I'm not putting pressure on you all to have it now, all I want to have my expectations on an ETA set.

Thank you and we appreciate all the great work Parallels is doing. I know it isn't easy making application compatibility with a new OS, just look at Vista.. :)

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

RealityExplorer, I did not mean all this. Please sorry if my post made you think so.
    I meant testing process is going on and we can not specify the date of the release to avoid misinformation in case the release is postponed because of some new bugs found in the code.

We're working hard to deliver the update in November-December. Another Beta is coming this week, I hope.

Thank you everybody for understanding.

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. FlatDog

FlatDog

That's great, thank you for your reply Xenos.

16. SteveDemy

SteveDemy

Thanks

Xenos, Parallels is excellent software. Development has taken place at a fast pace and I commend the forward-leaning approach of getting betas out to us to play with. Furthermore, your communicating with us on these tough issues is much appreciated. FWIW, my experience with 5540 has been good, and I look forward to continued improvement and communication. Thanks, Steve

17. Archy

Archy Super Moderator

Build 5570 is supposed to fix this issue.

Please check.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  18. MichaelN

MichaelN

Excellent. Thanks.

I ran the installer, and at first it stopped, complaining about the permissions on a folder inside /private/tmp. Since I had chnaged permission there in order to get another installer to work I was not too worried---I did a repair permissions and this time the installer completed.

It did ask me, again, for my activation key---and then my original activation key since the current one is an upgrade. This surprised me a bit. Then it complained about the VM and asked me to restart.

However, after that, my VM is up and seems to be running OK.