Linking to Program in Parallels running XP from OSX-side

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by infodoc, Nov 23, 2008.

1. infodoc

infodoc Bit poster

Hello all. Can't seem to find this, so I hope it's not a replication. I am trying to created some mindmaps on the OSX side with MindJet's MindManager. That program allows one to hyperlink from the document to folders or executable files on the MAc side, but there does not seem to be an option to link to programs running on XP within a Virtual HD. I don't think it is the MindManager that is limiting as I can't seem to find a way to do this in Word either.... Is this possible? If so how? If not, is this a planned fix?

Thanks.
    Steve

2. quser

quser Bit poster

Hi, Steve.
    You need to go to the Virtual Machine menu, Shared Folders and check "Mount virtual disks to Mac OS X desktop". Then all your Windows disks will appear on you Mac desktop. After that you can browse all windows files through the Finder.

3. infodoc

infodoc Bit poster

Hi.
    Thanks for the advice, but that setting was already toggled. What else might be blocking this interface?

Steve

4. infodoc

infodoc Bit poster

I see the virtual disk mounted on the desktop, but when I try to access through Finder it does not seem to show up in the file structure.....

Steve

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to use SMB shared on Mac OS, and connect from Windows XP to Mac OS using network , you will be able to set links

6. infodoc

infodoc Bit poster

Not sure how to do this... Please advise. On another note, this is only happening after I upgraded to Parallels 4. I just checked on another of my machines and running Parallels 3, there is no problem. So, what other settings do I need to look at and could it have been some kind of transition problem?

Steve

7. infodoc

infodoc Bit poster

Could it be interfering with MobileME? with .Mac ? All of a sudden the iDisk started mounting on my desktop after I upgraded to 4.0 PArallels... ??
    Steve

8. infodoc

infodoc Bit poster

OK, I've been grasping at straws admitedly and can't figure out the differences that are supposed to be there between 3 and 4 installs. Figured out the SMB sharing part.....but cannot access the Windows Virtual disk from OSX Finder with it toggled on or off. When you click on the MAc HD image on the desktop and look at the file structure, the Win Virtual HD is simply not listed as a device.
    When I click on the image of the virtual disk itself that is sitting on the desktop, everything inside it shows up.
    However, if I wait about literally 5 minutes, under "Shared" in the Mac HD Finder window several entities show up with alphanumeric names.....and they literally come and go.........if I wait ANOTHER 5 minutes after clicking on one of them it "connnects" and the file structure of the Win Virtual disc shows up.
    This is totally bizarre. HELP!

Steve

9. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Please, check you Shared folders settings, probably you have Share all mac disks with virtual machine enabled (so it somehow becomes "Windows disk" also) and Mount all Windows disks to Mac Desktop chosen. So it is mounted. The configuration particularities are discussed here:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22694.htm