Linux Guest Tools: Use XrandR instead of Xinerama (and a call to open source the tools)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by (GalaxyMaster), Apr 12, 2019.

1. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Bit Poster

The PRLVIDEO driver in guest tools is using a very outdated technology: Xinerama extension. All major Linux distributions switched to XRandR about a decade ago. I think it is time for Parallels do the same :).

P.S. Also, if Parallels wants to make a huge impact -- open source your guest tools and the community will provide some steam behind the development (I know I would). There are numerous limitations around the current drivers inside the guest which have nothing to do with licensing or proprietary secrets. If you had your guest tools sources on, say GitHub - you still maintain the control of what is shipped with the product, but you give opportunity to developers all around the world to raise pull requests to fix issues and introduce features your customers need. Additionally, having the tools open sourced will give distribution packager to include them as part of their distribution, as the result Linux VM support will improve tremendously (I am a Pro subscription customer and it pains me to re-assemble the whole guest tools package for the distribution of my choice, which is AltLinux, every time either is updated).