LINUX Tools, curiousity

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ccparallels, Jul 20, 2007.

1. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Out of curiosity, what happens when we install the Parallel Tools for LINUX? As per the other thread, my Fedora 7 install was bumpy, but it seems odd to me to mount a read only disk to have to get the mouse and resizing to occur since it's not on the disk. Seems some sort of fake-out for some reason was going on?

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

When you install the tools you actually install X windows device drivers which add mouse transparency support from the VM to OS X and resize capabilities in X windows.

If you still have a blank CDROM, it means you haven't mounted the parallel tools properly, as you are supposed to run a program in that fake CDROM.

3. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Ok, thanks, I thought something like that -- fake CD -- was going on. Seems to me some transparent and more logical facility could be created to allow the tools' install for LINUX, as is done with Windows (in fact, Tools install was automatic for me under Windows despite that I thought the docs said I had to do it manually). Equally, I could be missing something obvious (or unobvious), since, if that were so, I would expect it to already be being used, so perhaps I'm putting my foot in my mouth. Actually, it seems to me the other night I saw somebody mention an alternative way to install the tools with LINUX, but can't seem to find it, unless I misunderstood.

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Try this thread

http://forum.parallels.com/thread13553.html

You will notice that a lot of different Linux engines bring up their CDrom not always automatically or necessarily in the same place.

This is what complicates matter.

Using VMWare has the same kind of restrictions, the only difference is you have to run a rpm in vmware and a shell script in parallel...

But in both VMware and Parallel you basically have to mount the cd manually and switch to the right directory