Lost all my documents while moving from App Store to Desktop Version...

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JulianA6, Jul 2, 2023.

1. JulianA6

JulianA6 Bit poster

Hello everyone,
    My App Store Version's Free Trial was about to end, so I purchased the Desktop version, without knowing I wouldn't be able to simply upgrade my App Store Version with it. Something even worse happened when I downloaded this Desktop Version: it looks like it erased the whole App Store Version, including the documents I had on it! Is there any way to get them back? I really cared about those documents...

Thanks for reading me, and I hope someone will be able to help...
    Julian Aïdan

2. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

Never used the App store version, but while I can see it replacing the app, the VM should still exist. I'd try searching for it on the Mac's storage. You should then be able to simply import it to the new version.

3. BurakB1

BurakB1 Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue. I can not find my image to transfer to the desktop version.
    Did you find a solution by any chance?

thanks.

4. JulianA6

JulianA6 Bit poster

Hello,
    Unfortunately no, I haven't been able to fix this issue nor to contact someone from Parallel's staff, so I do not know if there is a way to get documents back from the AppStore version. I tried to look in my Mac's storage but I could not find anything related to my files...

Please tell me if you find something before I do ^^

5. Sven G

Sven G Member

6. Sven G

Sven G Member

^^^
    [...]
    Locate a VM in Parallels Desktop for Mac App Store Edition
    Parallels Desktop for Mac App Store Edition is a sandboxed application, and by default, the application has no access to the user's folders (except for the "Downloads" folder if granted). Virtual machines are saved in the following directory when installed automatically:

/Users/<username>/Library/Group Containers/4С6364ACTX.com.parallels.desktop.appstore/Shared/Parallels/

Note: Virtual machines from the Free Systems category are saved to the Downloads folder directory.
    [...]

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello Julian,
    I don't see any open tickets for your email address julian***@**.fr. Actually, the first step is to locale your virtual machine first: you can search for the file with '.pvm' extension using Spotlight. Once found, right-click it > Open with > Parallels Desktop.
    If the steps aren't helpful, kindly open a support ticket at https://www.parallels.com/support/.