Mac OS X in Parallesl

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Nightwolf, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Nightwolf

Nightwolf Member

Hi,

is it
    - legal
    - possible

to run Mac OS X in Parallels?
    I want it to test some selfprogrammed code and multiple apps.

2. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

Given the amount of side-stepping and hair pulling installing OSX on a PC requires, i doubt very much it would run in parallels out-of-the-box.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

No to both.

4. asterion

asterion Junior Member

How about running Mac OS X in Parallels for Mac? And then we can run Mac OS X in Parallels for Mac in Mac OS X in Parallels for Mac in Mac OS X. And from then on, it's turtles all the way down.

5. jed

jed Junior Member

That's useful.

Though I know it doesn't work, I think it's a good idea and seems so useful.
    Mac user can try any charrenges to other OS' on Parallels, but MacOS.

I tried to run MacOS X on "PearPC" on parallels virtual PC.
    It seemed complete, but had problem on mouse tracking.

I also wish Parallels support MacOS 9 and MacOS X.

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

but as 'dkp' said, its not legal. Its not Parallels cant do it, Apple expressly prohibits it in their licencing terms. Basically this is becuase they dont want to be like Microsoft and have to write driver support for a million different devices. They only write their OS for *their* hardware.

7. wesley

wesley Pro

It's because the first one's a big fat NO, that the second becomes NO, as well. Running OS X inside a VM is NOT considered running inside a Mac 'hardware', since it's simulating a generic one. At least, that's how Apple sees it. Parallels doesn't want legal entanglements, so this realm is not explored any further.

8. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

I've seen parallels running on a 'hackintosh' on youtube - seemed stable though. But parallels would never get clearance to do what the OP is asking about.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  9. jed

jed Junior Member

I think...
    1. Of cource, I need another MacOS X licence if I install it to VM. (I already have two Tigers. Preinstall and retail.)
    2. If Parallels works only for diskimage and memory handling and cpu timesharing and video mapping and through everything to hardware, the MacOS as a guest os works actually on "Apple's Hardware". Don't you think so ?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You cannot install to a VM according to Apple terms.

As to two, not quite... There is some emulation going on. It sounds like you CAN hack it, but I am sure that it is very involved.

11. jed

jed Junior Member

I'm just talking about my wish and it's posibility.
    Everybody on the world KNOW it's currently not able.
    To consider about user needs, is Apple and Parallels' matter.