Mac OS X: Physical disk drive names

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Blaster, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Blaster

Blaster Member

When configuring Parallels Workstation to "Use real CD/DVD-ROM" on Mac OS X, the devices are listed by the BSD name such as "/dev/rdisk2s0". This can be confusing if you have multiple disk drives connected to the Mac. And the BSD device names can change depending on the order in which the disks are mounted. Would it be possible to include the System Profiler name in the list of real drives? For example, my Intel Mac Mini internal DVD drive is identified as "MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846" in the System Profiler.

So instead of listing the physical drive as "/dev/rdisk2s0", can we have it listed as
    "MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846 (/dev/rdisk2s0)" or just "MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846"?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

If you are using beta 2 for OS X, it shows the superdrive as "Default CD/DVD-ROM" instead of you having to call it out by its unix path.

3. Blaster

Blaster Member

I just installed beta 2.1.1658.30 and now the only item in list of drives is "Default CD/DVD-ROM", no matter how many optical drives are actually connected to the Mac.

What if the Mac has more than one optical drive and I want to assign the virtual CD drive to something other than the internal optical drive? For example, I could have 2 CD's mounted on the Mac desktop but only one virtual CD drive set up. How do I tell the virtual machine which CD to use?

What if I want to create a virtual machine with multiple virtual CD drives, each using a different physical drive?

What if I am running multiple virtual machines simultaneously, and I want to use a different optical drive on each virtual machine?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006