Mac Retrospect server to XP VM retrospect client

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sam Gruner, May 7, 2008.

1. Sam Gruner

Sam Gruner Bit poster

I use Mac Retropect server over my home LAN to backup family member XP and Mac clients using Retrospect client software installed on the computers to be backed up and thought that this would be a good way to backup my Parallels XP VM data onto the firewire drives mounted on my Mac Pro. And it might be, but I can't get the Mac Retrospect server to recognize the VM XP Retrospect client. Obviously this involves Apple, Microsoft, EMC(Retrospect) and Parallels but I think probably the problem is in getting the Parallels XP VM networking configured properly so that the Mac Retrospect server "sees" the XP VM Retrospect client as a client on its network. Can anyone suggest how would I configure the network settings in Parallel so that the XP VM acts as just another computer on my home LAN?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. XP VM is running COMODO firewall, Spy Sweeper and ESET NOD32 antivirus just like the DELL it is supposed to replace

Mac Pro(jan 08)/10.5.2/XP SP2 Pro VM in Parallels 5582/latest updates of Retrospect on Mac and Windows Retrospect client on XP VM

2. Sam Gruner

Sam Gruner Bit poster

Sorry, figured this out myself I think

Setting Parallels network mode to "bridged" rather than default "shared" mode allows XP VM to be configured with manual IP settings and still get to the internet etc. In addition it seems to act like a separate machine on my LAN and the Mac host Retrospect server can now "see" the VM Retrospect client. I think this will let me make incremental back-ups of anything on the VM "C:" drive to the FW drives mounted on my host Mac rather than making a new copy of the entire VM file for each back-up. Might be a decent archive strategy. Meanwhile I'm going to try SuperDuper! on the Mac to make duplicates of Mac boot drive with the VM file before I do any updates or anything that might screw everything up. Sort of like having clones of the VM. If anyone sees this headed to disaster l'd sure appreciate hearing about it. Thanks in advance.