Macbook Core2, XP OEM and Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by yusufosman, Dec 7, 2006.

1. yusufosman

yusufosman Junior Member

Hello,

I've recently installed XP via Boot Camp, which I bought as an OEM edition and it came with a Vista upgrade coupon.

I want to try Parallels on my Macbook, from what I understand OEM only works on one computer - will it recognise Parallels as another computer? Does that mean I won't be able to use it in Parallels. It's the same computer I just want to be able to use it in Boot Camp and in Parallels.

I know that the beta version has the ability to use a Boot Camp partition in Parallels, has anyone had success using that feature? I've had many problems getting XP to run in Boot Camp getting the BSOD etc, managed to get it running and I don't want to mess the installation up!

Regarding the Vista, I thought I'd be able to get an upgrade for a nominal fee. When I read the terms and conditions it said I need to provide a receipt that came with the computer I bought to be entitled to Vista upgrade. What does that mean? I don't have a receipt because I bought the OEM version to install on the computer. Would I be able to use the receipt of my Macbook? Where do all you guys get Vista from who are using it in Parallels? I'd really like to try it out!

Thanks

2. Art

Art Junior Member

i don't have answers to your questions, but do you know that normal versions of Vista won't run under Parallels? the Vista license agreement specifies that only the most expensive versions (business or ultimate) can be used in virtualization softwares such as Parallels - neither the Basic version nor the Premium! (in my opinion, it's a shame)

3. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Do you want to try to run your Boot Camp partition under the latest beta of Parallels? If so, I strongly suggest you do not do it, at least for now. If you were to do so, Windows XP will most likely demand reactivation, since Parallels present a completely different set of hardware to XP. And you may not be able to get a reactivation code from Microsoft.

And yes, depending on the version of Vista that you are going to get, it may not run under Parallels. Microsoft has said certain versions of Vista are not licensed to run in a virtual machine, which is what Parallels is.

[​IMG]

4. yusufosman

yusufosman Junior Member

Thanks guys. I did not know that it is only the most expensive VIsta that will work on Parallels. That's Vista out of the question for me then until Leopard arrives and I can dual boot in to Vista with Boot Camp. That does suck. I'm happy with XP for now, it lets me use the programs I need in Windows.

It's a shame I can't use Parallels for XP though, so I can only activate a copy of Windows once? I had no idea about this activation thing. There is no way around it apart from buying another copy of Windows to use in Parallels?

5. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

About the activation: yes, you are supposed to activate one copy of XP on a single "machine", be it an actual PC, Boot Camp on a Mac, or a VM in Parallels. Microsoft does this to "force" you to buy another copy to use in Parallels (which help them financially). Some people here reported success in asking Microsoft for a second activation code to use in Parallels, and some failed.

If you can get your hands on a Corporate version of XP (like me) then you will be able to use one copy since the Corporate version does not have activation.

For Vista, even the Corporate versions will need to be activated, and it contains all sorts of piracy checks which, if they go wrong and decide you are using a pirated version (and what Microsoft did doesn't go wrong?) will turn Vista into "Reduced Functionality Mode" which is close to useless. I for myself will avoid Vista as long as possible.

[​IMG]