MacBook pro fan spinning like hell

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by eismann, May 1, 2009.

1. eismann

eismann Bit poster

Hi,

once I start my Parallels windows, the fan of my MacBook Pro starts spinning like a starting space shuttle. Any suggestions or best practices how to bring it down?

2. fwong

fwong Member

GeForce....and Fan Control....

How old is your MacBook Pro? Mine is also a 2.4Ghz from July 2007. This line of MBP had defective GeForce chips. If you encounter overheating issues or garbled screens - contact Apple support. Mine had to have its motherboard replaced.

If you want more control over the Mac Fan -- download a Fan Control utility. I use "Fan control" it to control the fan on my machine...but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a while. There is another one I haven't tried called smcFanControl that I see people talk about...

Fan Control

smcFanControl

Also- your Mac's System Management Controller sometimes gets out of whack. There's a simple procedure to reset it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US

3. AndyK

AndyK Bit poster

I just installed my new Parallels 5 on my Macbook Pro as well and my fans are spinning like 4 boeing engine on a 747 Jumbo non-stop!! They only stop once I close and exit Parallels.

4. eismann

eismann Bit poster

I've installed an SSD Disk. Now the fan is no longer loud.

5. AlbertD

AlbertD Bit poster

Similar issues with 2G Core Duo

I just received Parallels 5 and installed on 1st gen Macbook Pro 2GHz Core Duo with 2GB Ram. OS installed is OSX 10.6.2. As with the other two folks, once the installation completed and connected to my Boot Camp volume the fans kicked into overdrive. IStat Pro indicated that the fans reach up to 5000 RPMs. Parallels 4 may have kicked up the CPU usage and pushed the fans a bit, but never to this extent. Once Parallels is shut down the fans spin down. This doesn't seem all that normal to me. System CPU at most kicked up to 30% or so with a total CPU usage of about 50% or so not idle. Any ideas?

Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo 2GHz
    2GB Ram
    OSX 10.6.2
    Parallels 5.0.9308
    Guest OS Windows 7 Boot Camp Partition

6. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member