MacBook Pro Standby crash?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rbienstock, Jul 28, 2007.

1. rbienstock

rbienstock Junior Member

I'm having a weird problem with my MacBook Pro, and it may be caused by Parallels, but I'm not 100% sure. Here's what is happening: about 5% of the time, about 3-5 seconds after I close the cover of my Core 2 Dup MacBook Pro, I hear the startup chime, and if I open the cover, OSX is rebooting. The problem is that the issue occurs totally randomly and there is no way to reproduce it. I took my machine to an Apple store Genius who put the blame on Parallels. I can't say for sure that Parallels is at fault, because I use it all the time, so it is definitely running when I experience my crashes. But the problem is that since I can sometimes go for several weeks without this problem occurring, and if I simply stop running Parallels until the problem crops up without Parallels running, (1) it could take many weeks because I'd have to use a PC instead of my MacBook for the things I need Windows for and so the MacBook would get much less use, and (2) even if I would wait that long without using Parallels, the mere fact that it didn't happen when Parallels wasn't running wouldn't really prove anything since 99% of the time it doesn't happen when Parallels is running either.

FWIW, I'm running 2.5 v. 3214

So has anyone else had similar problems to me on a MacBook Pro wither with or without Parallels? I'm about 100% sure that this isn't the so-called MacBook Random Shutdown bug because it doesn't happen at random times like that bug does. It only happens when I shut the cover of the MacBook, so the randomness that I experience has to do with whether any particular closing of the cover will cause the crash.

2. David5000

David5000 Pro

I also have a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo. I haven't had this problem but I always quit Parallels (which suspends the VM, running XP Pro) and put the computer to sleep before closing the cover. That might be a workaround for you.

David