MacBook

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CPFarhood, May 17, 2006.

1. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Junior Member

Anyone pick one up yet? Virtualization enabled by default? I'm most likely going to replace my PBook G4, just curious what i'm getting into with parallels.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

VT-x is enabled by default on all MBPs and iMacs. There could be some problems with Mac Minis, but it could be solved with lates firmware updates.

3. alindgren

alindgren Bit poster

I was thinking of getting a new Mac Mini, but only if I know it can do virtualization well. Does "could be solved with latest firmwares" mean that it might not? Also, does anyone know if the new MacBook announced this week (not MacBook Pro) have VT-x enabled?

4. id-sign

id-sign Bit poster

works on Mini

I've read many posts that say Parallels works fine on Intel Minis- core solo & duo. Do a search for Mini core parallel here or in Google.

5. alindgren

alindgren Bit poster

I have -- and of course Parallels works without VT-x enabled -- but I have yet to see someone say that the issue of VT-x (without having to use some unsupported work around like running a program to hack it) has been resolved with the latest firmware updates.

6. n4khq

n4khq Member

Beta 6 fixed my Core solo Mini Mac. It used to tell me VT-x of off but not any more. I think I have done 2 firmware updates which may have fixed the problem.

7. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Junior Member

Sorry for the confusion, i wasn't talking about MBPs, i was talking about the new 13" MacBook.

8. wesley

wesley Pro

I'm not quite sure about this, but I haven't seen much complaints about Mac mini not having VT-x enabled these days anymore. There have been a manual solution of some sort, and we had a couple of firmware updates behind us, too. And quite a few PW builds. I personally haven't encountered this issue with my Mac mini since beta1.

9. netdog

netdog Hunter

Yes, it is running fine on the new MacBook. I have an XP guest running. None of the problems that haunted the Mini before the fix.