macOS 13 Ventura VM (Intel)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion' started by Sven G, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

Yeah, I think something else is going on as now I have other VMs that were working yesterday are also CTD. I even tried creating a new copy from a fresh download (monterey), but parallels says it can't use that to make a bootable image. I manually made an image, but I can't seem to load that into parallels to boot from either. I filed my first support ticket in hopes this is just parallels as this IS a new-to-me Mac that I just purchased.

2. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

There may be other things going on with this system, but while I still have the above creation issue, I can now run all the VMs. Mind you, Ventura is REALLY resource intensive, so I really can't do much on it as it spikes the full 8Gb available for the standard parallels app VMs.

3. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

I wanted to update that the "Virtio" Network fix now works on my VM, but this VM is incredibly bogged down unless you're interacting with Finder. Navigating websites is painfully slow. Even the shutdown command is sometimes so slow that even a Stop/Reset command is needed.

4. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

I've played with it more and it looks like parallels isn't giving the VM the vGPU memory it's been told to. I looked at it and it's only showing 64mb of vRAM inside the VM itself. So I think that's one place to look into as that is NOT what my settings are set to and I know that this was an issue when Big Sur came out initially.

5. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

Just confirming that v16 of Parallels on my 2012 MBP / Catalina Host is a no go for Ventura as it loops forever and you have to force the VM closed. It installs and runs ok on the 2019 MBP / Monterey Host. It still has that video driver issue though that seems specific to either v17, Monterey, or both.

6. WilliamS44

WilliamS44

Having issue with screen going black on Ventura with windows 10 running on Mac 2019 intel. Had same problem on m1 too though. Starts out working normally then the virtual screen/parallels window goes black. When I stop the machine and start it again, I can see the screen again, but then again it goes black within a minute or two.

7. Bhargava@Parallels

Bhargava@Parallels Staff Member

Hello William, please be informed that the black screen issue on macOS 13 Ventura is a known issue please refer to know about Parallels Desktop for Mac compatibility with macOS 13 Ventura. Please refer to and follow the steps to resolve the issue. Thanks.

8. JulsS

JulsS Bit Poster

I upgraded a Monterey VM to the Ventura public beta, on a MacBook Pro (intel) host using Desktop 17.1.4. The upgrade seemed to work but then got stuck at the login screen. I reset the VM but at startup I got a black screen with some random pixels at the top. Another reset seemed to fix the problem and I was able to login. Once the MacOS "optimization" completed, performance of the VM seemed reasonable. The VM cannot connect to the Internet; I am using a shared network interface. I reinstalled Parallels Tools but that did not fix the connectivity problem.

juls

9. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

Try this:
    "The network seems to work with the Virtio adapter, in bridged mode."

10. Bhargava@Parallels

Bhargava@Parallels Staff Member

Hello, please refer to and in the Network pane, if connected to the "Shared Network" option, change it to the "Default adapter" to resolve the network issue. Thanks.

11. JulsS

JulsS Bit Poster

Switching to the Virtio adapter fixed it. Thanks!
    @Bhargava@Parallels Going back to Default adapter did not fix the problem. The Intel adapter does not work.
    juls

12. JulsS

JulsS Bit Poster

If you have trouble with a black screen and distorted mini white Apple logos at startup, try changing your video settings. That fixed the problem for me; my host is a MacBook Pro with Intel. Thanks to whoever posted this years ago when Big Sur was having problems updating.

Search for the string below in the config.pvs file (you'll need to show the package contents of your Ventura VM file) and replace <Type>2</Type> with <Type>0</Type>.

<Video NativeScalingInGuest_patch="" ApertureOnlyCapable_patch="1" VideoMemorySize_patch="1" dyn_lists="">
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Type>2</Type>
    juls

13. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

Where did you get this from? Whatever it's changing, it FIXES the vGPU RAM glitch so that they now show the full 256 Mb that Parallels claims is a software limit!

14. JulsS

JulsS Bit Poster

Glad it helped. The fix was posted by another user on these forums in a thread about running Big Sur betas as guest VMs. I do not know how the fix works. When the first Big Sur betas came out, there were similar video crashes to the one I was seeing in Ventura.

Juls

15. toonetown

toonetown Bit Poster

I also think you can run:
    Code:
    prlctl set <VM_NAME> --video-adapter-type parallels
    and it will make this change for you without needing to modify the config.pvs directly.

16. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

Public Beta 3 just dropped FYI