Magic Linux Install media?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by ThomasG35, Dec 17, 2020.

1. ThomasG35

ThomasG35 Bit Poster

Freshly installed technology preview, and immediate frustration.
    From the initial dialog, if I pick any of the usual Linux aarch64 install media (debian 10.7, debian bullseye, ubuntu 20.04) they all fail with a dialog popping up indicating they are intel, yet they aren't. These are the real aarch64 media.

If I skip through without install media, enter the key etc, then configure the linux guest to boot from iso and pick any one of these isos again, failure with the dialog to capture data and send to parallels hq.

Anyone have better luck with their M1?

FWIW 16 Gig / 13 MBP M1

2. NikolaiS@Parallels

NikolaiS@Parallels Parallels Support

Best Answer
    Hello Thomas,

The images are indeed currently misdetected as x86. Therefore, manual installation is required. To perform it, please follow the steps below:

1. Open Parallels Desktop. Click New > Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file > Continue > Choose Manually > Continue without a source > Continue > Ok > Continue > Create.

2. Open the virtual machine's Configuration: click Parallels icon || > Control Center > right click on the virtual machine > Configure.

3. Click Hardware > CD/DVD > Source and browse to the installation .iso

4. Switch back to the virtual machine's Window and in the top menu click Actions > Reset.

5. Virtual machine shall boot from the installation image and let you proceed with installing the OS.

ScottK17 likes this.
  3. ThomasG35

ThomasG35 Bit Poster

Thanks that was pretty helpful. Using the Windows OS option that is good enough to get into the debian installer.

Partitioning however is pretty rough and I ended up having to do it manually as well as create the file systems.

Install completes, however it's not able to successfully then reboot into the install. It either hangs on resetting or doesn't recognize the boot partition. Guessing EFI perhaps isn't setup correctly? It might be helpful to know if there is a recommended / tested known good Linux install.

4. mmika

mmika Kilo Poster

For me Debian didn't set up UEFI boot entry for itself. It can be solved by manual variable creation in UEFI Boot manager:
    Once you got into EFI menu, got to "Boot Maintenance Manager->Boot Option->Add Boot Option" in a UEFI file selection dialog go to selected partition (i.e. press Enter)->EFI->debian->grubaa64.efi -> press Enter. Give a some meaningful name for this new variable . Select "Commit changes and Exit"
    For now this boot entry must appear in "Boot Manager" menu. Select it once. Next time Debian will boot automatically.

5. ThomasG35

ThomasG35 Bit Poster

The ubuntu arm64 server 18.04 install cd works!

6. NeilS13

NeilS13 Bit Poster

@ThomasG35 That is great. Thank you. I was in the right ball park but going round in circles in those menus. Excellent instructions.

7. griffdb

griffdb Bit Poster

This helped me! Thank you.

8. Sylmara Frigieri

Sylmara Frigieri Bit Poster

Same as other, successfully installing Debian, 'There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine', even though I've seen it do grub setup.
    Trying solution above, get to this point:
    ")->EFI->debian->grubaa64.efi -> press Enter. Give a some meaningful name for this new variable . Select "Commit changes and Exit"
    I'm unable to input a description. If I proceed with "Commit and change" with no description, back to Boot manager menu, I have the same initial options:
    UEFI Debian SSD
    UEFI Virtual DVD
    UEFI Shell

9. mmika

mmika Kilo Poster

To start editing description, you need to press ENTER on that element, then description input window appears.

10. Sylmara Frigieri

Sylmara Frigieri Bit Poster

Thank you, It worked in the end. At first Enter wouldn't bring the description box for some reason, I only had the option to commit.
    Worked after restarting, thanks for the help!

11. ParisJ

ParisJ Bit Poster

Thank you so much for this! This worked!