Migrate Win 11 VM from MBP-M1 to MBP-M3

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AudioHTIT, Nov 18, 2023.

1. AudioHTIT

AudioHTIT Junior Member

I thought there might be a knowledge base article on this, but I didn't find one. I have a new MBP M3 to replace my current M1. I'm hoping since both are Apple silicon, I can just install Parallels on the M3, and copy the Win 11 ARM VM file(s) across to the same locations, also moving the license at some point. Is this documented anywhere, or can someone walk me through it? Thanks!

2. AudioHTIT

AudioHTIT Junior Member

Best Answer
    Ok, thanks for your help, looks like it all made it across.
    Copied /users/Parallels & /users/Applications (Parallels)
    Installed Parallels 19, and added my License Key, chose to automatically disable previous instance
    Opened the Windows 11 ARM VM

Note: This also solved a problem I opened a separate thread about, where the Windows VM no longer saw my full monitor resolution, Windows again sees the full 5120 x 2160 of my LG external.

3. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Most valuable person

Use migration assistant to transfer everything from your old Mac to the new one. (Or if you prefer a clean installation, locate the .pvm file of your Windows VM and copy it to the same location on your new Mac.)

Parallels should then recognise the VM on the new Mac. What can be a bit tricky is the Parallels activation. It didn't recognise my current license and only showed me the option to use a license for a very old version of Parallels. If this happens to you, enter your license key. Parallels will then inform you that it is already in use on the old Mac and give you the option to transfer the license to the new Mac.

Mikhail Ushakov and AudioHTIT like this.
  4. AudioHTIT

AudioHTIT Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, don't want to use the migration assistant, so appreciate the pvm tip, I thought that might be the only thing I needed. What about the Parallels and Parallels Applications directories? I copied them to my new user directory, is that needed, desirable, or detrimental? Thanks again!

5. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

copied my response/experience from the other thread about migrating from M1 chips.
    I am no expert but I just did the same thing - M1 to M3 iMac - with Parallels 19 and Windows 11 ARM. Initially I had the Windows VM on my internal hard drive. I set up the new iMac from a Time Machine back (so the VM would be included in the restore) but I also had a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner of the VM on an external SSD hard drive. Everything went as planned. I was asked to enter my "authorization number" from my original install of Parallels (which I copied and pasted) and I was asked if I wanted to transfer the license from the original iMac to the new iMac, which also went without a hitch.
    I then decided - to save some space on my hard drive - to use the cloned copy of the VM on the external HD. This was done simply by adding that VM to the Parallels Control Panel, and once I knew it was working properly, I removed the original VM from the Control Panel and deleted that VM from my internal HD. Now running Parallels/Windows 11 off the external SSD drive and everything is working fine

AudioHTIT likes this.
  6. AudioHTIT

AudioHTIT Junior Member

Edit: Sorry, the directory in question is: user/Applications (Parallels).

7. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Most valuable person

All you need to copy is the .pvm file. That contains your entire VM. I never tried copying any other files, so I don't know if there are any possible problems.

AudioHTIT likes this.
  8. AudioHTIT

AudioHTIT Junior Member

Best Answer
    Ok, thanks for your help, looks like it all made it across.
    Copied /users/Parallels & /users/Applications (Parallels)
    Installed Parallels 19, and added my License Key, chose to automatically disable previous instance
    Opened the Windows 11 ARM VM

Note: This also solved a problem I opened a separate thread about, where the Windows VM no longer saw my full monitor resolution, Windows again sees the full 5120 x 2160 of my LG external.