MODERATORS: Help - the website forums getting SPAMMED?!?

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by ruel, May 24, 2008.

1. ruel

ruel Member

I don't know if the moderators and the official Parallels people are noticing this, but the discussion forum here appears to be getting spammed with automated Chinese spam.

It looks like there are at least two hijacked automated user accounts:
    080522jk
    nsk

I turned off images in options for this forum. The nsk account has a signature with a 500k gif file which I'm wondering if it's loaded with something because I would think that a gif file for a signature should not be that large in size.

Whatever the situation, I'm getting irritated with the notifications that I'm getting that there are new messages to my subscriptions of message threads here when these automated spammers are actually posting junk messages. I'm trying to turn off the email notifications to avoid this spamming.

How about doing some actual moderating and clean up?

I have no idea as to who to send an alert to about this. So I'm posting here and hope someone does something.

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

this is a regular weekend phenomena

I usually send a private email to Spectre with the handle of the spammer and the url of the message

Hugh W

3. ruel

ruel Member

I have no idea who Spectre is. There are at least 5 spammers now from what I've been observing. With too many message threads at this point. This is probably the "first" weekend that I've seen this. Actually I've been seeing this since the beginning of this week.

Look: there's spam from "lovebeijyo" right before my current message here. Geewhiz.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are in process to get rid of them
    Thank you everyone for reporting!