More network problems

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by JohnGaby, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JohnGaby

JohnGaby Bit poster

I have an evaluation copy of your Destktop for Windows and have set up a virtual XP machine and am having trouble with the network connection. I need the virtual machines for testing my software on various windows configurations, and as such, I need to be able to remote debug on the virtual machine. I have not been able to setup the network on the virtual machine in such a way that I can connect to it via the host computer. I have tried all 3 methods (Shared, Bridged, and Host-Only), but I am not even able to ping the virtual machine, much less remote debug from it.

Being able to do this is critical to my needs. If I cannot find a solution for this problem, I will be forced to go with a VMWare solution which does work.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

First of all, please try to disable Firewall in XP. Most likely it is it who blocks traffic.

Are you debugging the process in VM from the host on which the VM is running? Then Shared should work.

If Bridged Networking works in your networking environment, it is possible to use Bridged for both Remote (not from Host) and Local.

And if Bridged doesn't work, then Port Forwarding should be configured in order to debug not from local host

Usually Windows XP Firewall blocks pings. Please try to disable it

3. JohnGaby

JohnGaby Bit poster

Ok, turning off the firewall seems to have fixed it, thanks.

I am still having a problem, however. I only seem to be able to connect to the network using the "Shared Networking" option. I would prefer to use the Bridged option, but cannot seem to get it to work. When my virtual machine (either XP or Vista) tries to optain an IP address, I get the error that it is "unable to contact your DHCP server". Do you have any idea why this is not working?

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Most likely it is configured by Network Administrator to forbid use of more then one Mac Address on one Network-Switch port. You can try to contact him and ask whether it is possible to remove this restriction

5. JohnGaby

JohnGaby Bit poster

Thanks for the response. There is no network administrator involved. My host machine is connected to a Linksys wireless router which hands out the IP addresses. The weird thing is, I could have sworn that I had the bridged option working at one point.

6. JohnGaby

JohnGaby Bit poster

It turns out that at the time I was trying to get the bridged to work, I had a VPN connection. If I close that connection, then I am able to get the bridged option to work under XP (I knew I had it working before). However, under Vista, I am still having a problem. Now it tells me that "The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network". Do you have any idea why this is happening under Vista and not XP? Once again, I am connected to a Linksys wireless router.

Thanks.