More or less 3-D with upgrades?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ariell, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ariell

ariell

When I first installed Parallels from the CD in March, it was version 2 (I think). Back then, YSFlight (OpenGL) worked fine, and Lego Racers (DirectX 6 or 9) kind of worked as well. When I updated Parallels to version 2.5, Lego Racers stopped working, but YSFlight was still okay. When I was using version 3 (for a couple hours, I guess, before getting 2.5 back), YSFlight completely stopped working, and Lego Racers still didn't open (yes, I re-installed the two programs with no-go).

What's going on? Are we getting more or less 3-D support when we update/upgrade?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. brkirch

brkirch Kilo Poster

The Parallels 3.0 adds 3D acceleration. The problem is, in the process some of the software 3D emulation may have been removed/replaced and the drivers for accelerated 3D are still incomplete. Future updates to 3.X are supposed to mostly improve 3D support but also in the process probably improve the acceleration, so hopefully it will resolve most of the issues that people have been having with it. In your case the games that used to work will most likely work in future updates, but will also have significantly better performance. For DirectX games you should also check to see if DirectX support is enabled under your virtual machine settings.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  3. ariell

ariell

DirectX was enabled. BTW: I don't think I was able to get DirectDraw to work in Parallels 3.0.

4. bgose

bgose

How do you know this? Can you point me to a post by Parallels that evidences what you've posted here?

5. brkirch

brkirch Kilo Poster

Read the posts by the Parallels team in this thread. As for the "significantly better performance" I was telling the OP that their games would have, I was referring to the speed gain that 3D acceleration would give the games, because pre-3.0 versions of Parallels had no 3D acceleration so the games were run through software emulation mode.

6. bgose

bgose

Thanks for the info.