Mouse Capture and Release stopped working

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ktjeras, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ktjeras

ktjeras Bit poster

For no apparent reason, the release of my mouse is no longer working. I did not install any new software or updates, but now my mouse won't release from my XP environment. I have tried reinstalling parallel tools twice, but no luck. If I go to Configure and select Services, the capture and release is checked, but it is also greyed out and I cannot change the setting. Help!

I am running 4.03450 on OS X 10.5.5 and Win XP with Service Pack 2 (and all updates).

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

First step is to reinstall Parallels Tools from Parallels Desktop- Virtual machine

3. ktjeras

ktjeras Bit poster

Thanks. I have tried reinstalling Tools - twice. After each reboot, still no release of the mouse.

4. John@Parallels

Delete mouse device from Device manager and remove any mouse drivers installed in Virtual machine
    Restart VM

5. ktjeras

ktjeras Bit poster

I deleted the mouse device from the device manager and restarted. Upon reboot, Win XP found new hardware and the device manager now shows "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse". Still no mouse auto mouse release. I also tried to once again reinstall Parallel Tools, again with no luck. This is driving me crazy!! Next?

Thanks,
    Kevin

6. ltsden

ltsden Bit poster

same problem

I am running 4.0.3810. I have the mouse capture/release problem only when running my newly-recreated BootCamp-partition VM. That installation is Windows XP Pro, SP 2. If I instead boot my other VM, a disk image with XP Home Edition, mouse capture/release works fine.

Earlier today, I was unable to start the BootCamp VM because Drive 1 could not be found. I deleted the VM and recreated it, assuming that the problem arose because I upgraded my Mac to 10.5 a week ago. (Since then, I had only run the XP Pro installation by actually booting the Mac from the BootCamp partition.)

Relevant detail?: when I start the Boot Camp VM, I am confronted with a choice:

Please select the operating system to start:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Parallels Configuration

If I do nothing, Windows starts up after 30 seconds. If I select Parallels Configuration, I get an error stating:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

This choice of "operating system" began after I upgraded to Parallels 4, which was a few weeks before I upgraded my Mac OS to 10.5.

Louis

7. John@Parallels

It shows that there where problems in Parallels Desktop version3
    Please correct boot.ini file when logged in Boot Camp,
    removing Parallels configuration
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

8. ltsden

ltsden Bit poster

still no muse capture/release

I fixed the boot.ini with the inf from the link you provided--thanks!

Still have the mouse capture problem despite reinstalling Parallels tools two more times

9. John@Parallels

Try following,
    1.Restart Windows in safe mode
    2. navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers
    3. delete all files starting with prl
    4. restart VM, reinstall Parallels Tools

10. ltsden

ltsden Bit poster

update: still no fix

I deleted prl drivers according to your instructions. Afterward, Parallels Tools installer simply wouldn't run.

The other day I copied the same drivers from the functioning XP Home virtual machine into the BootCamp XP Pro installation. Now I'm back to square one. I did notice that when Windows begins loading the status bar at the bottom of the Parallels window says "Parallels tools are not installed." The Tools icon is a gray gear with a red gear on top. Under the Virtual Machine menu the item reads "Install Parallels Tools..." Once the Windows Welcome screen appears, the status bar "not installed" message disappears, the Tools icon changes from red to grey and the Virtual Machine menu item reads "Reinstall Parallels Tools." This sequence does not happen when I boot the functioning VM.

11. John@Parallels

12. ltsden

ltsden Bit poster

Solution

thanks to Kakoli Bhowmik in Parallels Tech support for the obvious solution: run Add or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel; remove Parallels Tools. After restart, install Parallels Tools.

I forgot about Add/Remove Programs in the Windows environment because I was looking for a solution that works like a Mac, not a peecee....

13. Paul Burkimsher

Paul Burkimsher Bit poster

I confirm that this solution worked for me too. Thanks for fixing this very annoying problem :)

paul