Mouse Support in Linux Guest OS

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by nhand42, Jul 12, 2006.

1. nhand42

nhand42 Member

The mouse support in a Windows Guest OS is excellent; the cursor isn't captured but can drift into and out of the window naturally. I'd like the same behaviour inside a Linux Guest OS.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Apparently linux tools are coming. Maybe next minor release, maybe next major relaease.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Constant is correct - it is under development now.

4. nhand42

nhand42 Member

Woohoo! That's great news.

5. ohporter

ohporter Bit poster

Great news Andrew. My primary guest OS is Ubuntu LInux. The three things that are an issue for me are:

1) Lack of a built-in way to emulate a middle mouse click on my MacBook Pro touchpad. I suppose using SideTrack (another $15 shareware tool just for a middle mouse click? :0) could do it and pass through the button 3 event.

2) Lack of accelerated Xorg support

3) Lack of cut and paste between the host and guest OS "clipboard" or cut and paste buffers.

I suppose 2 and 3 might be a part of parallel tools for linux. Is that the case?

What about #1, any plans for that? One thing I did notice is that the built-in right click emulation on parallels/mac is deprecated by the OS X 10.4.7 two-finger-tap-generates-right-click option.

Also, is parallels linux support something that will be released at the next major release later this year or will some of this be available in a sooner minor release?

Thanks,
    Matt

6. Stubb

Stubb Bit poster

Has anyone been able to get the middle button of a 3-button mouse to work? I have a wireless Apple Mighty Mouse and tried setting the middle button to "Button 3" in the mouse portion of the OS X control panel and set "emulate3button" to false in XF86Config-4.

7. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

I -really- want to have linux tools that give good redraw speed and non-laggy mouse.

8. scsjason

scsjason Bit poster

So, any news on when these tools are going to make an appearance for Linux?
    Its been quite a while since the last post.

-----
    jason