Moving License to New Machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Leonard, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Leonard

Leonard Member

I just got a new MBP (Yea, me) and am trying to install Parallels 4.0 on it. I upgraded from 3.0 -> 4.0 on my old MBP without incident, but using the same keys (and same user and org IIRC), I get the following message:

The specified key cannot be used to activate the product.

Please provide your key for the previous version of the product. The key is usually printed on the CD sleeve or sent to you by e-mail. Note that the language versions of both the upgrade and the previous version keys should be the same.

I am using the same dmg (ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3810.351321.dmg) that I used on my other machine just last month, and am getting the keys from PDFs I have archived.

Clearly I am missing something obvious. :) Any tips for someone that should know better?

2. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Hello Leonard,

You have the Upgrade license key for Parallels Desktop 4.0. In order to activate Parallels Desktop 4.0 you also need the permanent license key for Parallels Desktop 3.0 or 2.5.
    If you do not remember the permanent license key for Parallels Desktop 3.0 or 2.5, please try to find it on your previous Mac as it is described in this article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5846

3. Leonard

Leonard Member

Thanks, that did the trick!

.parallels_license_3.0 did contain the 3.0 key I was trying to use (albeit without the dashes as I was entering it). licenses.xml contained my old 2.5 key and that one worked without a problem.

Thanks for the quick assist!