Moving Win10 VM from Intel Mac to Silicon (M1 Max) Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by RLDumfries, Mar 12, 2022.

1. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Bit Poster

I am currently running P17.1.1 / W10 VM on an intel mac.
    I just purchased the new iMac Studio with the M1-Max chip.

How can I move my Win10 VM to the new Mac without losing data?

2. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Bit Poster

I am NOT an expert but I believe that it is not possible to migrate the image. You need to run the ARM version of Windows on M1.

3. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

You have to create a new VM. Intel VMs can't run on an ARM CPU (and vice versa). You can then copy your old pvm file over to the new Mac and follow these steps to copy your data from the old VM to the new one.
    You also have to install Windows 11 on the new Mac. (It's theoretically still possible to install a build of Windows 10, but I wouldn't recommend that. The build you could use is an expired Dev Channel Insider Preview that hasn't been updated since May 2021.)

4. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Bit Poster

I got instructions from MS on how to download and install win10 on the new computer. I was then planning to install win11 using the free upgrade, but you're saying not to install win10 at all.
    And the problem with win10, if I understand correctly, is that the version I download will not have been updated since first release, right?

5. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

That's correct. The retail/OEM builds of Windows on ARM don't work on the M1. And the Dev Channel builds that do work haven't been updated in almost a year because the Dev Channel moved to Win 11.
    There's no need to install Windows 10 and then upgrade to 11, though. Just make sure that your Windows 10 license is linked to your Microsoft account, install Windows 11 and activate it with your linked license.

6. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Bit Poster

Thanks. Saved me from a lot of work.